Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,660   Posts: 1,481,544   Online: 1009

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    35mm
    If you are worried about paying a fair price, send the seller an additional $50.00

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I asked because I wasn't sure of the camera's worth and didn't know if I'd paid too much or bagged a bargain (it seems the latter is the case), I actually bid £70 but won with £38.

Thanks for all the suggestions folks. I've decided to order an MR-9 adapter from The Small Battery Company here in the UK.

http://www.smallbattery.company.org....r9_adapter.htm

Not cheap but it's a once only purchase and means I'll be able to use the easily available 386 (1.35v) cells instead.

Luke, I will probably use it for my every day SLR and as it has mirror lock-up it will become my favoured tool for macro work, which I quite enjoy. (see album here: http://photobucket.com/albums/v223/M...s%20ornaments/? )

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Check out the following site, it details how to correct the mercury battery problem with the OM-1's.

http://olympus.dementia.org/Hardware...odeVer2_1C.pdf

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy K
    Also does anyone know about the batteries for the OM-1? Is it ok to use 1.5v cells in it instead of the old 1.3v? And how much would this affect the metering?
    I got my OM-1 for 280 DKR ($45, £25) with a f/1.8 50 mm lens. Great condition. But £38 is a great price, too.
    I use 1.5 volt cells and the meter under-exposes by 1/3 stop. I set the ISO rating to 1/3 stop lower (e.g. ISO 400 is rated as ISO 320) and that fixes the wrong metering.
    I use no converter or Zinc-Air cells as I am happy with the way I got my OM-1 working.

Morten

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Morten.
    The camera arrived this morning, it is actually an OM-1n. In very good, clean condition with everything looking and sounding normal. It still has its original hotshoe.
    It does not have a 'split image' focussing screen, instead it has just a central microprism circle. I'm pleased about this because when using longer lenses part of the old split image used to 'black out' on my OM-10. I also think it makes manual focussing quicker.
    I like the exposure controls being around the lens (aperture, speed), this seems so much more intuitive than having some on the lens and some on the top plate.
    The film advance is smooth, and the shutter is so quiet compared to the Om-10!
    I think I'm going to enjoy this camera!

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    35mm
    If the OM-1 is really in good working order, that is a good price. It will likely need new foam around the back cover. Check the hinge foam for stickiness. If it is gooey, this and the foam in the slots may not keep light out as well as it used to. The 1.55v alkaline batteries (625A, 625U) will throw the meter off 2-3 stops (causing underexposure, dark slides, thin negatives).

Quote Originally Posted by Andy K
    Last week my old OM-10 gave up the ghost, something with the electronics is fouled up and now the shutter speeds are not firing properly, even with the manual adapter. As OM-10s are reasonably cheap I figured I'd chase one down on the 'bay. Instead I noticed a nice looking, and according to the seller, perfectly working OM-1. I know the OM-1 is a manual camera with a battery only required for the meter, this suits me perfectly!
    So I went for it and won it half an hour or so ago for £38 (not including postage). Did I pay a fair price?
    Also does anyone know about the batteries for the OM-1? Is it ok to use 1.5v cells in it instead of the old 1.3v? And how much would this affect the metering?

Thanks in advance for any info/advice.

Andy.

Ps. Here's the auction: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MakeTrack=true

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Wein cell is basically a zinc air hearing aid battery with a ring around it so it fits in the camera. My battery solution was to buy the Wein cell and a supply of the appropriate sized zinc air hearing aid cells (I forget the number, maybe 625?). When the Wein cell dies, I pop out the battery in the middle and replace it with the hearing aid cells. I have done this on my Yashicamat, OM-1, and Luna Pro with great results. Altough the batteries don't last as long as others, they are super cheap and readily available.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Andy, 38 pounds for the closest thing there is to a Leica in the world of SLRs is a great price. Luton Camera Repair specialize in Olympus cameras -if you ever need a CLA or repair. www.lutoncameras.co.uk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin