Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,591   Posts: 1,545,957   Online: 1254

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Olympus OM-1, did I pay a fair price?

Last week my old OM-10 gave up the ghost, something with the electronics is fouled up and now the shutter speeds are not firing properly, even with the manual adapter. As OM-10s are reasonably cheap I figured I'd chase one down on the 'bay. Instead I noticed a nice looking, and according to the seller, perfectly working OM-1. I know the OM-1 is a manual camera with a battery only required for the meter, this suits me perfectly!
    So I went for it and won it half an hour or so ago for £38 (not including postage). Did I pay a fair price?
    Also does anyone know about the batteries for the OM-1? Is it ok to use 1.5v cells in it instead of the old 1.3v? And how much would this affect the metering?

Thanks in advance for any info/advice.

Andy.

Ps. Here's the auction: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MakeTrack=true

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Andy

Any camera as solid as an OM-1 for the price of a good meal must be worth it. A body only price would normally fetch £60 to £100 depending on condition so I think you did OK. Look forward to seeing some results

Phill
    It is not tradition that secures the survival of our craft, its the craft that secures the survival of our traditions.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Good price, no doubt. Any battery problems: www.criscam.com or www.rolleicamera.com/sales for battery adapters. http://www.xs4all.nl/~wiskerke/html/olylinks.htmlral all info you'll ever need on the the OM system.
    Digital is best taken with a grain of silver.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    kind of depends what you want to do with the camera. if it would have been more expensive to get the old one repaired and you wanted to use that camera and you do not want to worry about it being always near death when you are using and ... it was worth the price you paid to replace the camera. i have a stable full of old cameras, including a near new Nikon FG i purchased just a couple of days ago (Thanks to all who contributed thoughts as i am now searching for good useable lenses for this camera). my wife does not fret over how much she spends annually on new plant stock or new shoes or her hair appointments. in turn i do not worry about the expenditures on the equipment that i purchase and use. sorry for the complicated answer to the simple question.

Luke
    Luke

To create one's own world in any of the arts takes courage.

Georgia O'Keefe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As far as the meter is concerned, look at the sites provided in one of the preceeding posts - while I do not have experience with your particular camera, I have had a wein cellin a Canonet QL17, and been very happy with it. It is a bit more expensive, but it may be an option to the adapters, depending on how much you use the camera (the downside of Wien cells is that they deteriorate without use much faster than regular bateries unless the air-holes are covered)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a collection of OM-1 and OM-2 bodies, all dating back to the mid-late 1970s. Your price sounds fairly good to me. My expectation is that, unless I purchased a used body from someplace like KEH or a private seller whose maintenance/repair work I trust, I'm going to have to have it CLA'ed, probably sooner rather than later.

For an OM-1, you will need to use a replacement battery, most likely, unless the mercury batteries are still available in England. The adapter identified above is good (and necessary: a difference of a few 1/10s volt can make the meter readings screwy), but spending $30US on the adapter puts you 30% of the way to the coast of a CLA at someplace like Camtech (http://www.zuiko.com/) where the CLA will permanently correct the OM-1 so that an adapter is not necessary.

If you can afford it, I would get the whole thing checked out and timed, seals replaced, meter aligned, battery changed-over and be done with it. When I have violated my rule, and not gotten it done, I usually regret it. (BTW, I have no connection with Camtech other than the fact that I have used them and they have one of my OM-1s even as we speak - - my oldest from 1977).

...More free advice... and worth every penny.

Westley

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    there is a place with a wealth of info on the Olympus OM line:
    olympus.dementia.org/

enjoy
    Mama took my APX away.....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You jammy git! I wish I could find one at that price!!
    Norman is an island.Time and tide wait for Norman.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Alls I can say Andy, if your comfortable with the price you paid, then what does it matter what we say?

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you have to ask, you can't afford it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin