Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,222   Posts: 1,532,371   Online: 1085

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Hi All Neweeeeeey calling

Hi everyone, first time on site so apologeeeeeees if I post in wrong place; have to find my way arond.

Question! Anyone shot B&W in an F5 while on Matrix metering? Just thought I'd ask before I ruinin a roll of Neopan 400.

Talk to you all later.

Brian.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Hi there and welcome Brian. I can't answer your question so I'm bumping you to the top of the list where someone else may be of assistance. Hope you enjoy your time here.

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Call me naive, having never used anything remotely as sophisticated as matrix metering -- but what makes you think a system that correctly exposes color won't correctly expose B&W?? There is the ever-present issue of whether you believe the film manufacturer's ISO rating, of course, but that comes up with color films, too. And if I can get good results with my educated eyeball and Sunny 16, I can't see matrix metering being any worse unless the meter is badly misadjusted in the first place...
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by shadesofgrey
    Question! Anyone shot B&W in an F5 while on Matrix metering? Just thought I'd ask before I ruinin a roll of Neopan 400.
    Brian.
    No problem using a F5 in Matrix mode with b/w film, even with moderate filters like yellow/orange.
    Colour? We can always use an airbrush later...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I shot Ilford Pan in matrix mode on my wife F100 .... came out just as good as it does on my manual FM....
    Don't know what it does with orange/red filters though

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My F5 works great with b&W - have not ever shot any colour in it, to be honest.

Go for it!

Shooter
    35mm

Thanks to all

Hi Carol. Thanks for the free ‘bump’ and the welcome; hope to talk/type with you again soon. Hi Donald; I don’t have a problem with Matrix metering; I’m just trying to understand it better and the ‘Doc’ (hi Doc) hit the nail on the head thanks Doc. Hi Jan; thanks for the info; now we both know what filters will do. Question! Do you have a problem with dust in you F100? Hi Alien…I’m like you; only shoot B&W: maybe the odd roll of slide now and then. Nothing against colour/color, just that I don’t have an…airbrush! Nice one Doc.

Talk to you all soon.

B.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Background: I was a newsphotographer, then photojournalist when all we shot was B&W then moved into magazine features and color years later. Your matrix meter is just fine, but for B&W you need to pay special attention to the subject's light. Shooting B&W is different in special respects - most subjects yield interpretable images in color while B&W is unforgiving - it wants contrasts to make points. Shadows that work in color might be disappointing in B&W. Contrast filters and a polarizer are your friends.

If you want to appreciate how your matrix metering works, shoot some pictures with the meter off and use handheld meter readings (start with incident to keep it simple) and then make the shot again, letting the default settings matix system make the decision.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use an F5 loaded with HP5 and find the matrix metering generally excellent. You've still got to find your own personal film speed though. HP5 works better for me at 200asa regardless of which of my cameras I'm using. It's not foolproof and CW or spot may sometimes be the better option. BLIGHTY
    Norman is an island.Time and tide wait for Norman.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for the info guys. JJ; there’s an email on its way to you. Blighty; HP5 @ 200 explain how you arrived at that? I’ve tried it at 320-250, went back to 320. What dev are you using?

Cheers B.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin