Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,463   Posts: 1,570,647   Online: 832

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yeah, don't use Garry. From my own experience, I know he is perfectly capable of doing more harm than good and then lying about it. On photo.net, he has what appear to be shill recommendations.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Yes, thanks for the correction on Mark Hama's name. I've been to his site, which is why I sent him an e-mail. No info as far as XK's...

In my searches, I've read quite a few complaints about Garry's. I don't think he'll see my babies...

And JTCamera actually answered me. He doesn't work on XK's...

I'll wait another day or two and then e-mail Mark Hama and Kelly's again if I don't hear from them. Maybe worth a phone call otherwise...

The big problem is that the XK is a beast unto itself. I don't think it's more complicated than a comparable nikon? But there's a whole lot less of them around... And I could see the electronics causing poeple problems without the specialized test equipment. But after reading the repair manual, it all doesn't look that difficult, for a repair person. Too many little parts & screws for me...

So, the search continues...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Kelly did finally get back to me. They didn't actually answer my questions, but did state they'd service the camera which I'm hoping includes the meter, for a very reasonable price. So I plan on sending them one easrly next week... Ohhh, the anxiety These cameras haven't been away from me for more than 30 years...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Just in case anyone had an interest...

Almost 3 months later and no luck. I got a call from Kelly's last week to confirm the repair. I asked "What the confirmation I gave 3 months ago, last time you called?"... So they found my confirmayion and credit card info in their computer and sent the camera to the tech...

Today I find out that the camera is not worth repairing! They didn't specify unavailable parts or a higher price. And only the tech would have more details, not the people who answer the phones... I don't have the camera back yet so I have no idea if they're going to charge me for this, but what a complete waste of time! Deffinitely not a good first impression out of Kelly's...

But I won't give up on the XK yet. I'll try Mark Hama again and I've now heard about Ken Ruth. Maybe they'll be more open to repairing an XK?

I just find it hard to believe that a camera that works 100% except for a slight 'stick' in the shutter at 1/2000 is completely un-repairable.... Maybe it broke in shipping or when they tested it? Maybe they had a spare part after opening it? I suppose I'll find out sooner or later....

Just thought I'd add the update...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin