Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,981   Posts: 1,523,812   Online: 1179

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format

Minolta XK CLA/repair???

Didn't know where else to ask and thought someone here might know?

I have several Minolta XK's. They are my 'babies'. Will never give them up!

Unfortunately, after 30+ years of use, at least one of them is showing some signs of it's age, not unlike it's user ;-) Biggest problem is a sticky shutter at high speeds. I don't move so fast anymore either, but it makes more of a difference in a shutter...

This is not a drastic problem because I've kind-of moved on to 4x5 and 8x10, but still love to take the 35mm's out now and then.

After many searches, I could find no references to absolute recommendations to get an XK serviced. My first thought was KEH as I've bought a lot of used equipment from them. But I hate to send one of my babies off without some kind of recommendation...

So, anyone know, for sure, absolutely, who could take proper care of my XK's???

Any info would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You might give Kelly Camera repair a hollar in AZ, they have always treated me quite well over the years., They have the ability to make parts that are no longer available.

www.kellycamera.com

Dave

Images
    I used to shoot with Minoltas including the XK (very cool camera).
    I happened to live within a five minute drive of their US headquarters and factory service facilities in Ramsey NJ. Repairs were very quick and easy.
    Now Konica Minolta HQ is just a few more miles down the road buyt that does me no good anymore.
    I'd be interested in hearing your results, especially if the repair requires parts.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Large Format
    Thanks Dave. Not all that much info on their site, but enough to find out. Of course they don't mention the XK...

Flotsam, Yes, if I can manage a good CLA/repair, I would be more than happy to share the experience. I'm hoping non of them will need parts because they all function perfectly, except for the one that started sticking at 1/2000.

The other concern of mine is the AE Prism. Got one of those that's 2 stops off and I'm betting a good calibration on that is no small feat. I've read the service manul....

At least Kelly's gives the impression that they care about the older cameras, to the point of making parts that can no loinger be obtained. It's deffinitely worth a phone call...

Shooter
    Large Format
    You might also try contacting John Titterington (Google for his name).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BradS
    You might also try contacting John Titterington (Google for his name).
    I'll second that! John (JTCamera@aol.com) is a great technician, fast, reasonable, thorough, and honest. You won't go wrong with John.

On the flip side, I've heard (from others) some recent horror stories about Garry's. I never had any dealings with him, so I'm not speaking first hand, but I think you oughta know that others have had some real problems with him.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Uh-oh, I almost had a box taped shut for Garry's.
    Murray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Garry's camera has handled two repairs for me with satisfactory results. One was a broken SRT-101b and the other was a Hi-matic 7sII with a non-functioning meter. Garry did both repairs with no problems. All that said though, I've seen enough negative posts about Garry's to not use them for something serious. I too have used John T. and was very happy with his service also. I believe if any of my various MF Minolta's develop a serious problem John will be the first one I contact. For me Garry's is a source for cheap CLA'a and minor repairs of select items. Hope this helps.

Shooter
    Large Format
    So it takes me a while...

I sent an e-mail off to Kelly, so far no reply. They don't mention the XK model on their site and I wanted some verification...

I also tried e-mailing Mark Hamma. Anyone here ever heard of him??? I found his name mentioned all over the place for XK repairs while doing an hours long serach for the possible cause of a stuck film advance (bought a 'new' XK and the advance lever is stuck solid). No reply from him yet either...

Okay, who else should I send an e-mail off to?? ;-)

Oops, forgot about JT Camera. Just sent off an e-mail to them...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RichSBV
    So it takes me a while...

I sent an e-mail off to Kelly, so far no reply. They don't mention the XK model on their site and I wanted some verification...

I also tried e-mailing Mark Hamma. Anyone here ever heard of him??? I found his name mentioned all over the place for XK repairs while doing an hours long serach for the possible cause of a stuck film advance (bought a 'new' XK and the advance lever is stuck solid). No reply from him yet either...

Okay, who else should I send an e-mail off to?? ;-)

Oops, forgot about JT Camera. Just sent off an e-mail to them...
    Its Mark Hama. He's the one to have your Yashica TLR worked on since we worked in the Yashica factory in Japan. He CLA'd my 124G last year. His website is www.markhama.com

Steve
    The soul never thinks without an image.
    - Aristotle

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin