Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,956   Posts: 1,522,906   Online: 1185

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Put an SLR in a boys hands and watch the magic!

I gave each of my teen aged sons a Nikon EL-2 and 70-210 Nikkor lens plus several rolls of FP4+. They had been asking for a digi-cam but I wasn't inclined to give them those.

The first day my 15 year old was out with his Nikon, he exposed 2 36 exposure rolls and the 16 year old exposed one roll. The boys were awfully excited to have those cameras. We drove down to our state capital and wandered around the grounds making pictures of stuff. The younger boy has been taught nothing about composition but came up with very interesting images.

They're hooked. I suspect that if you put a solid camera into the hands of a kid and give them all the film they want, you'll find a renaissance of film will come about after a short time. Think about all the 35mm cameras sitting around collecting dust. Let's get them into the hands of kids!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's great isn't it? I'm starting that a little with a local "Art in the Park" thing in town... giving them a bunch of disposables to play with. Kids and Photograms tend to get along great too

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SchwinnParamount

They're hooked.
    You are a "pusher". Great. Now they are going to want that Leica.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thats wonderful, the next step is to take them into the darkroom, and teach them to develop and print. I'll never forget the magic at about the age of thirteen of seeing my first print develop, but I warn you, you may never get to use your darkroom again.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I finally settled on giving my 6 year-old a polaroid. He LOVES it! They both have made photograms, and some time this summer we'll make pinhole cameras!

You are right about getting all those dust collecting 35mm into the hands of kids... it will spark a revolution!!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What a sexist post :-)

First my nephew comandeered his parents Pentax SLR the results despite enthusiasm aren't good

2nd I gave a Nikon F401 to my niece, the results are always excellent, she know uses my 5"x4" and wants to use my 10"x8". Should add she's highly profficient with digital but says its not the real thing.

Meanwhile little brother (6' 2") now has his own Pentax and a couple of excellent lenses still no change in output, he's vocally the keenest. His sister just quietly makes images.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by eric
    You are a "pusher". Great. Now they are going to want that Leica.
    My (now) 14 year old started with his grandfather's Minolta X-700 18 months ago. He saved up and bought a used Minolta XE-7 because he liked the way the Leica R3 works and wanted a full info finder to use mostly on manual. He also wants an MP. Does that count? He did get a mint used Bessa L as well, so he's working in that direction.

Lee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My father got sick and tired of me hogging his SLR - so I got a Lubitel TLR at age 10 or 11... I still have the first roll of film (both negs and proofs) that I shot that very day! I stillget goose bumps looking at them. And I sure remember how it felt to have a "real" camera of myown! I know that people don't change that much, kids have different slangs, music, etc - but they really are the same underneath. There is magic in film, an aura - and it hooks you, draws you in. Children right now have a very clear understanding of pointing something at an object and having the rsults appear on a computer screen - it is as pedestrain to them as automatic transmissions in cars and cordless phones or x-boxes and mp3 players. Its cool, its fun, but its not arcane, almost surreal, supernatural! The digital cameras are just another convenient electronic gizmo - with its own menus and user friendly icons, etc. The old cameras - they had the stuff! You had to turn all the right rings, almost like an ancient lock - to get the thing to work for you! Almost like taming a rune object or pulling the sword out of a stone! I know that photography can be summed up as a chemical reaction - but its not that, it is so very much not that! Its something that needs to be done in the total darkness, that needs to be done just the right way! There are all the magic potions, the correct order of doing things to a little black bucket that you cannot open until IT is ready to give up its secrets! And you have to do the right ceremony, incantations, dances, before it does!
    And when all is said and done, in a dark little room by an erie red light, you breath the ghost from a little piece of film onto a piece of paper... and if you do everything right, the seanse results in the slowly coaxed, physical maniphestation taking shape in a little tray... Yes, its magic, I don't care what anyone says!
    Most of us here are adults - and we still (at least I do) get a little stirr of excitement out of our photographic rain dance. We can know all the formulae and hard science. We can know all the physics behind f stops and light. We can know what all the little numbers mean and why. But we all still have some seed, planted long ago, that sends a chill up the old spine when that photo takes shape! And we're a bunch of geezers! We have no awe and wonder left in us compared to a kid!
    Now take this powerful force and cast it onto the fertile soil of a child's imagination and you will have something absolutely magnificent!

I wonder, there are all these basketball camps, hockey camps, auto mechanics camps - you name it. A 35mm camera with a 50mm lens costs less than a pair of skates or a pair of basketball sneakers in the modern day, and thrift shops are full of them. I wonder what it would take to start a youth center where you could get a camera, some film, the use of a darkroom and some guidence from well meaning, open minded people? I think it would be wonderful. I think it would palnt the seeds of life long love affairs in so many, that we may not have to worry about the future of our hobby - if we nourish it in those who will takeover.

But, that is enough out of me - I get a bit long winded sometimes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It works with girls too.

David.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gnashings
    The old cameras - they had the stuff! You had to turn all the right rings, almost like an ancient lock - to get the thing to work for you! Almost like taming a rune object or pulling the sword out of a stone! I know that photography can be summed up as a chemical reaction - but its not that, it is so very much not that! Its something that needs to be done in the total darkness, that needs to be done just the right way! There are all the magic potions, the correct order of doing things to a little black bucket that you cannot open until IT is ready to give up its secrets! And you have to do the right ceremony, incantations, dances, before it does!
    And when all is said and done, in a dark little room by an erie red light, you breath the ghost from a little piece of film onto a piece of paper... and if you do everything right, the seanse results in the slowly coaxed, physical maniphestation taking shape in a little tray... Yes, its magic, I don't care what anyone says!
    Most of us here are adults - and we still (at least I do) get a little stirr of excitement out of our photographic rain dance.
    WELL SAID! That is exactly why I do photography. I was thinking that very thing this morning whilst shaving my face. I recall that my 15 year old was watching me develop film a few months ago and commented that he loved watching me mixing, measuring and pouring chemicals. He said it looked like I was some kind of mad scientist (in a cool way!)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin