Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,735   Posts: 1,515,368   Online: 1030

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hall
    Dude, a tool is a tool. Use a hammer for a nail, not an adjustable wrench.
    I use a black Leica M2 for a hammer. Is that a Bad Thing?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hall
    Dude, a tool is a tool. Use a hammer for a nail, not an adjustable wrench.

Shooting different formats all have pros and cons. Use the right camera for the right subject/effect. (assuming one has many formats from which to choose)
    Hey be nice now, I have drove quite a few nails with adjustable wrenches! LOL

All formats have there place and I have shot quite a few of them, up to and including 20" x 24"...

Shoot what you shoot and have fun!

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Maybe you need another subminiature to see the first one ;D

Quote Originally Posted by Andy K
    Wow! That camera's so small I can't even see it!
    Mama took my APX away.....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The problem with 35mm is it's too heavy. The 450mm lens I'm dreaming about is 290grams. I'd be afraid to even think how heavy a 35mm 450mm lens would be. 300grams? More? I'd tip over with one of those monsters on the front of the camera. Then they go and put the film in metal cans. What's up with that? Isn't the whole setup heavy enough already??? Maybe it's to balance out the weight of the lens. Is that how you keep from tipping over? I'll stick with LF until they can get the weight issue under control.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Bingo!

I use 4x5s for certain things, MF for certain things, and 35mm for certain things.

When I travel abroad, I don't take my 4x5. Too much hassle for me. I like to travel light. So the ETRsi and one of the 35s comes with.
    Official Photo.net Villain
    ----------------------
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]DaVinci never wrote an artist's statement...[/FONT]

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Satinsnow
    Hey be nice now, I have drove quite a few nails with adjustable wrenches! LOL

All formats have there place and I have shot quite a few of them, up to and including 20" x 24"...

Dave
    That's my point Dave We've all used a wrench for nails, as well as wishing we had a different format for some given photographic task at some point.

Still, the wrench may get the job done. It's just a tool.
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Images
    If you look closely, you can see that Ole has a 35mm back on that camera

I'm a completely unashamed 35mm user. Fully manual SLRs are my weapon of choice. All I have to do to re-affirm my committment is to look at my walls and count the pictures that would have never been taken with a bulkier, slower, less versatile camera. I like to keep a tripod optional, I like to carry a camera wherever I go instead of shooting out of the trunk or planning photo excursions. I regularly use a 4x5 view camera, usually with a rollfilm back, for still life because I need the movements but never thought that my personal style was adapted to the big cameras.

Of course, I am also glad that so many of our Large Format Cousins are out there actively plying their preferred branch of photography. Their results are breathtaking and their efforts are a gift to those who truly enjoy viewing them. Thank goodness analog photography is such a big tent. Something for everyone.

I think that I'll go back to my old sig
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by titrisol
    Have you tried medium format?
    Had a M/S 330 back in the 70's- sold it. Have had a lust for a unaffordable Hassy for years- love those Zeiss lenses. Tried a RB-67 in the 90's- not impressed by the B&Ws,but those Kodachromes...WOW!
    "Just because nobody complains doesn't mean all parachutes are perfect."

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Satinsnow

Dave
    I regularly shoot 24x36
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Zentena
    The problem with 35mm is it's too heavy. The 450mm lens I'm dreaming about is 290grams. I'd be afraid to even think how heavy a 35mm 450mm lens would be. 300grams? More? I'd tip over with one of those monsters on the front of the camera. Then they go and put the film in metal cans. What's up with that? Isn't the whole setup heavy enough already??? Maybe it's to balance out the weight of the lens. Is that how you keep from tipping over? I'll stick with LF until they can get the weight issue under control.
    Well Nick,

I just purchased a 800mm f/5.6, what a freaking Monster, takes great shots, but can be a pain to play with..of course it is the 35mm format for wildlife shooting, for some reason, as I get older, I like the distance between me and the Grizz it offers! LOL

Dave

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin