Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,494   Posts: 1,543,005   Online: 759

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

You know what's wrong with 35mm?

What's wrong is we keep trying to keep up with and/or live up to the big boys standards.We should ignore the LF and MF critics and just "do it our way".
    There's lots of things they can't do, that we can. Ever try covering a race with a 4x5 and get more than 1 shot? Ever try handholding a view camera with a 500 or 1000m lens? Ever try buying a motor drive for a Sinar?
    Sure, there's lots of things they can do we can't- but we don't need to do them to produce a "work of art".
    They point to their 16x20s and say we'll never make anything that good from 35mm. Well for them that's only an 2 to 8x enlargement. I stack our 2 to 8x enlargements up against theirs any day for quality. Let them enlarge at 8 to 16x and I'll bet the tune changes.
    35mm users arise. Stop limiting your self to what "they" say. go out an buy yourself some REALLY BIG trays and print to the size your heart desires!Forget about grain and think content instead.Millimeter for millimeter we're sharper anyway.

Last edited by garryl; 07-13-2005 at 03:29 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "Just because nobody complains doesn't mean all parachutes are perfect."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    One up Garry and shoot half-frame! Then try a Minox! There's a reason people get deep into subminiature cameras. If you have not seen some of the amazing smaller prints done by a Minox maven, you have really missed something special.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by garryl
    Ever try handholding a view camera with a 500 or 1000m lens?
    See my avatar

OK - it's a 300mm f:4.5...
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I think subconsciously, some think that 35mm is the closest thing to digital film can get.. Shooting mentality changes drastically from 35 to MF to LF, in many photographers. I've noticed that I like more of my shots on a roll of 120 than 35. That's just me, of course and there is a good reason for it.. When I am shooting 35mm, I shoot more in bulk. But sometimes that's the only way you can get a shot.

I think grain is fine, depending on your subject.. I've seen 135 Delta 3200 blown up to 11X14 and loved it.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jjstafford
    One up Garry and shoot half-frame! Then try a Minox! There's a reason people get deep into subminiature cameras. If you have not seen some of the amazing smaller prints done by a Minox maven, you have really missed something special.
    Please JJ- one battle at a time.

and yes I would like a URL to some good "sub-miniature photography".

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hear hear!

I shoot almost all my shots with 35 mm (the rest is MF with a Holga). I like grain and find the flexibility of 35 mm suiting my way of working. I like shooting people and 35 mm gives me the ability to shoot a lot of shots before changing film. I could do the same with motorized MF camera but would have to change magazine for every 10th, 12th or 16th shots instead of every 36th! I like my Canon and when I almost never make larger prints than 24x30 I can live the grain.

LF is for the old people who can't keep up the speed of 35 mm and cannot see unless they got the image blown up on their 8x10 GG

Morten

Shooter
    35mm
    Ole, I have faith in you as being the cartnation of the Viking spirit. Get 2 burlap sacks and walk 20 meters behind your house to the fjord and fill them with stones. Work at it. I believe that you are easily man enough to meet the callenge of any Texan. In no time at all with a lot of exercise and good dosing with lutefiske you will have to upgrade your avatar. Ooftah!
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    35mm
    I am a small minded man given to moderation in many things. I will continue to make my 6.6x enlargements.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Nothing wrong with 35mm, I used one exclusively for 20+ years. While my primary camera is now my Toyo 4x5, I also have a Nikon F5 and a Nikon N80. They both have their uses, but I get the most satisfaction from my 4x5.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by roteague
    Nothing wrong with 35mm, I used one exclusively for 20+ years. While my primary camera is now my Toyo 4x5, I also have a Nikon F5 and a Nikon N80. They both have their uses, but I get the most satisfaction from my 4x5.
    Isn't that like saying--
    for a long time you use to watch Goldie Hawn movies for laughs, but now you get the most satisfaction from Rosanne Barr?

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin