Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,523   Posts: 1,572,281   Online: 816

Shooter
    Multi Format

Disregard my last post.(leave well enough...)

The lens threads are toast.I should have ask before I lept into uncharted waters.HEY,maybe I can sell it on ebay! The notice would read...."Inhererated from my late uncle.I know nothing about photo equipment and cannot test it.Sold as is,no returns,etc. etc." Kidding of course.
    Just wanted to inquire about picking up another medium telephoto lens in a Nikon mount. I have read that there are some pretty good units made by 3rd party manufacturers such as Kiron,Vivitar,and older Tamrons.It would be for my girlfriends Nikon FE. She is a recent convert to analog after straying into the "dark side" for a year or so.
    Thanks Much,
    Mike Kennedy

Shooter
    35mm
    I was "given" a 35 to 70mm lens with a Nikon EM a few years ago. I was doubtful (not being a fan of zooms), but it turned out to be quite a nice lens. If you want, I'll dig it up and see what the make/model was.
    Jon

Shooter
    Pinhole
    There is a Yahoo group called Kiron-Klub. The guys there know alot about the Kirons and which Vivitars were made by which contract mfrs. They alert each other to availability of lens on auction & personal sale etc.

The Lester Dine dental lenses are Kiron/Kino too.
    Murray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Any of the old Vivitar lenses that have a serial number that starts with "22" (Kino Optical, a.k.a. Kiron) or "28" (Komine) have been keepers in my book. I've got a handful of them and there's not a dog in the bunch.

If you can find one, the 90mm f/2.5 Vivitar Series 1 macro (actually a lens that gets you to 1:2 and a 2x matched teleconverter to get all the way to 1:1) is one of the sharpest lenses I've ever used and one of the sharpest lenses ever tested by various magazines and individuals. The 90mm f/2.8 Vivitar macro (all the way to 1:1 without a teleconverter, but heavier than the f/2.5 lens) is also bitingly sharp (I've used three examples and all three were incredible lenses). If 90mm is in the range of focal lengths you're interested in, I can highly recommend either of these lenses from my own personal experience.

The other big advantage to the f/2.8 lens is that it tends to be cheaper than the f/2.5 lens...the f/2.5 lens has a cult following and the f/2.8 lens tends to be ignored because it wasn't a "Series 1" lens.
    Film is cheap. Opportunities are priceless.

Shooter
    35mm
    I would prefer a second hand Nikkor 85mm instead of a 3rd party lens.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    You can never go wrong with buying from Keh. Their bargain-rated stuff is, most of the time, in excellent shape.

Shooter
    35mm
    The Vivitar Series 1 90mm f/2.5, was made by Tokina, and is a very good lens. One of the sharpest lenses ever made. By anyone! The Kiron 105mm f/2.8 macro, is a phenomenal lens. It goes 1:1 without any adapters of any type, and is sharper and better built than the Nikon equivalent. With a touch of diffusion, it's also a superb portrait lens.

Mike, what focal length of lens are you looking for?

Kiron Kid

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Probably a fixed focus 85 or 105mm.
    I am checking into the exciting world of 3rd party lenses.Just missed a Kiron 105 that sat for months at a local pawn shop.I am kind of strapped for cash until later this fall so maybe it was a good thing that I missed the lens.
    After doing some research into so called off brand lenses its amazing to find out how many people find them to be just as good or better then big named glass.
    Cheers,
    Mike

Shooter
    Pinhole
    How's the couch?
    Murray

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin