Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,328   Posts: 1,537,093   Online: 1049

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Vivitar V3800N questions: Multi-Exposure?

A friend of mine just bought a Vivitar V3800N in a pawn shop and has a couple of questions, does anyone have one of these?

First, where is the multi-exposure button and how do you use it? I briefly saw the camera and remember a button next to the film counter, is that it? Do you hold it down while rewinding, or just push it before rewinding?

Second, apparently it has 2 shutter speed dials on top: they set what I thought was the shutter speed to 250 or so, but then I heard from them later that there was actually 2nd dial that had been set to 1600 (with predictably lousy results considering it was 400 ISO film, processed for 400 ISO) and that once they set that back down it seemed to work properly. What is the purpose of that?

Lastly, is the manual on-line anywhere? I keep trying to Google for "Vivitar V3800N Manual" and get a million ads trying to sell me the V3800N as a manual camera :0)

Thanks,
    Nathan

Shooter
    35mm
    the button on the front right is the multiexposure button. hold down when winding.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the multiexposure button info.

It occurs to me that the 2nd 'shutter speed' dial may be simply the film speed setting, but it seems odd that it would be marked in increments like 250, 500, etc.

Since I don't have the camera in front of me I'm relying on the memory of a few minutes with the camera several days ago, and my memory's not THAT good anyway :0)

Nathan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Your friend's V3800N is a newer version of the older V335, which I am quite fond of. It's cheap, light, and accepts K-mount Pentax lenses. Here's some info on the camera:

The big dial next to the film winder sets both shutter speed and film speed. Pull the button up and turn to set the film speed (similar to the Pentax K1000). I think the button on the front of the camera (close to the shutter release button) is the DOF preview button. The little crank next to the lens should be the self-timer. Hold the button on the bottom of the camera while operating the winder for multi-exposure.
    Jacob

Shooter
    35mm
    I've also got a V3800N that I bought secondhand. I don't see anything that looks like two shutter-speed dials, but the shutter-speed dial also sets the film speed, as erickson describes. His description doesn't match the action of my V3800N for multi-exposure and DOF preview, though; multi-exposure is done by pressing the button on the top front (next to the "V3800N" enscription) and winding, as burn1138 describes, and the button to the lower right of the lens (when looking at the camera from the front) is the DOF preview button. Perhaps there are variants of this camera, though, or maybe he was describing the V335 and it's different in these details.

The one mystery for me is the small button to the upper right of the lens (when looking at the camera from the front). As far as I can tell, it doesn't do anything. I'd also be interested in an online manual, if anybody's got any pointers to one.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by srs5694
    His description doesn't match the action of my V3800N for multi-exposure and DOF preview, though; ... Perhaps there are variants of this camera, though, or maybe he was describing the V335 and it's different in these details.
    Arg! I think my head has been stuck in Pentax land too long. The DOF and timer controls I described match older Pentax cameras. That's what I get for going off on the Pentax tangent. Sorry for the mixup!
    Jacob

Shooter
    Medium Format
    For a manual, you might try: http://www.butkus.org/chinon/

He has LOTS of manuals for various 35mm cameras (mostly K-mount), some medium format cameras, some flash manuals, and some light meters. Site has NO ads and is supported by donations.
    JeffW.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Elox
    For a manual, you might try: http://www.butkus.org/chinon/
    This is certainly a good site for K-mount (and a few other) manuals, but sadly, there's no entry there for the Vivitar V3800N. The site's got some other Vivitar manuals, though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks all for your help. Vivitar's own site doesn't have a download for this camera, and it's a current model. Sad, really. I think it's all figured out - except for the button srs5694 mentioned. I don't have a V3800N myself and I don't recall that button.

The one mystery for me is the small button to the upper right of the lens (when looking at the camera from the front). As far as I can tell, it doesn't do anything. I'd also be interested in an online manual, if anybody's got any pointers to one.

Shooter
    35mm

small button on the upper right of lens

that small button on the upper right of the lens mount? the one thats not in the manual? that button activates the meter. so you can either press that or half press the shutter button to meter, quite usefull when you get used to it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin