Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,963   Posts: 1,523,210   Online: 828

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Nikon -> Leica -> Nikon

After a stint with Leica (I've handed it back), I realise that the grass isn't greener on the other side of the fence. My pre-ashp summilux flared, and the meter on the M6 faulty. I thought about Canon, but still dont want one, and really, all I want is 10 megapixels sometime in the future, and to shoot more film now alongside my D70, I dont even want a 12 megapixel D2X.

On the plus side, all those uber Nikkors which I thought were expensive now seem like bargains! I currently have a F65, D70, 50mm f/1.4, SB600, a fridge full of kodachrome and bulk rolls of HP5+ (yippee). F6 was tempting, but nah, too big.

So my come back kit Im thinking of is.. please double check my thinking, dont want to make another mistake. Canon posters are encouraged to recommend a Canon alternative, I do after all only have a 50mm lens, and the D70 could just be converted to infared usage.

FM3A w/E screen
    28mm f/1.4
    105mm f/2.0 DC (on clearance at dealer)
    SB27

Given full frame film and 1.5 crop digital, I cant see much more that I'd need & Im hoping that the FM3A w/28mm f/1.4 can do everything a M6 & Summilux can do and will work with digital when something compact which performs is available.

Any FM3A users here?

Daniel.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Well just to help get the ball rolling, if I had to do it all over again when buying a Nikon, (I don't shoot a FM3a sorry), I'd probably opt for an F3HP. I hear alot of nice things about the FM3a, but at some prices I've seen on F3's lately, it would be too hard to pass up.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you've got the FM3a, there's no point looking beyond ! It's a wonderful camera.

The 28/1.4 and 105 DC are awesome beyond words. Shoot, print, have fun.

You've got an 'ultimate kit.' Get it. Don't EVER get rid of it.
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What do you mean about the D70 being for IR? I have heard many ardent digi users say they have an old film body strictly for IR. I am not trying to start an argument - its simply something that I have little knowledge of, and would love an explanation.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi Daniel, I have been using an FM3a for 2 years now, cannot think of anything bad to say about it. Aperture priority is very handy to have when you are shooting in a hurry, AP lock is very handy for those scenes with tricky lighting. I used to think that a spot meter in the camera would be useful, but when I look at the results I get with the centre weighted meter I realise that with a bit of experience results are great.

With ttl flash and a PC socket it will take all the guess work out of flash photography, I use an SB22, and with an SB27 you will have a little more flash control than I have. The fill flash function on the camera is very good as well, if a little difficult to find in practice.

I use a 105 f2.5 Ai, 50 f1.8Ais, 28 f 3.5 and 70 - 150 E series lense, and the results are excellent. Any duff shots are always my own fault.

The outfit is small, compact and intuitave to use, there are no menus to scroll through to adjust settings etc, it is a tough little camera that performs well in all sorts of weather, I cannot praise it enough.

Mick

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Daniel,

Love my FM3A - it goes everywhere with me. I think I shoot twice as much through it as my F100.

I have added the E screen and the following AIS lenses: 35/2, 50/1.8, 105/2.5, 180/2.8 and 35-70/3.5. Great kit and combined it cost less than I sold my M6-TTL for. The 35/2 AIS is a phenomenal lens and stays attached to the body 95% of the time.

Best of luck,
    Gregg

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've owned and used a Nikon F3HP for fifteen years. A terrific camera. After a recent stint using mostly MF gear, I picked it up again; forgot how compact and lightweight it is, especially compared to MF gear.
    Michael Sebastian
    Website | Blog

Shooter
    Medium Format
    What to say, I have the FM3a (Black) 20/2,8 28/2,8 35/2,0 50/1,4 85/1,8 105/2,5 all Ais and all within the price I sold my M6 and 35 summilux for. Never a minute of regret.

Bought an additional FM3a later (silver) for reasons of film diversity.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gnashings
    What do you mean about the D70 being for IR? I have heard many ardent digi users say they have an old film body strictly for IR. I am not trying to start an argument - its simply something that I have little knowledge of, and would love an explanation.
    There is an irreversible mod you can do to the D70 which has been documented online, where you remove the IR filter on the sensor. It then becomes more sensitive to IR than film. Since this is an analog forum, I shoudlnt say any more.. you can post on FredMiranda if you want more info.

Daniel.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Well, its on order and I can't wait! Its great not having menus and instead having a camera which will do as its told. After reading the detailed expose on http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...tmls/index.htm, I realise what a technology tour de force it is compared to the M6 I was using.

I found the 1/50 flash sync on the M6 very limiting, basically meant I couldnt use it with any long lenses at night, so the M6 was ok for street, but I kept on wanting to try certain techniques only to find out it couldnt do them.

The 1/4000 mechanical shutter speed is incredible too, explains why Nikon was so successful in film. Any tips from the experienced? Anyone played with multiple exposures.. ?

Now heres the question.. what FILM should I use to break my FM3A's cherry? (looks in fridge)

1) Kodachrome 64 or 200
    2) Fuji Reala 100
    3) Fuji NPZ 800
    4) HP5+
    5) PANF 50

Im thinking some Reala 100 during the day NPZ at night cause I can drop them down to the local minilab for quick printing and scanning.

Daniel.

PS. Ordered the 45mm f/2.8 pancake lens too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin