Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,708   Posts: 1,548,584   Online: 1145

Shooter
    35mm

FM2 Hotshoe Broke!

The hotshoe on one of my FM2 bodies I have owned for over 20 years broke for no apparent reason. It is loose and I have no idea how to fix it. This camera has been kept in a drawer for the past several years. I took it out yesterday just to try a new MD12 I purchased when I noticed the hotshoe was loose. Has this ever happened to anyone here, and if so, how do you fix this?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Completely seriously: I'd send it to someone who knows what they're doing. I know it's frustrating, but when it comes to messing with anything that's got electrical contacts in a camera, I leave it to the pro's. Unless you have a service manual and some experience with electronics, I'd highly recommend not getting into this. The camera's too valuable, and camera electronics tend to be non-obvious (at least to me).

I'm in Pittsburgh, so I use Camera Repair Service...they're about 2 blocks from my office. They're not fast nor are they cheap, but they're extremely competent and have done great work for me over the years. Most decent size cities have a reputable camera repair shop; ask at your local brick-and-mortar if you don't know one.

Sorry about your bad luck with the FM-2.
    Film is cheap. Opportunities are priceless.

Shooter
    35mm
    The screws that keep it in place and tight, are located underneath the top cover. A very simple repair. When you tighten them up, apply a bit of non-hardening lock-tite, ot something similar.

Kiron Kid

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for the info. I don't know of any local repair shops in my area. I wonder if Nikon does this kind of work on this old camera? I figure that even if they charge more money it would probably be worth it because they would have the parts and the know how. I am a bit concerned about sending it to them for a quote and have them tell me that because it is out of production it is considered a collector camera and charge more money than the price of getting a used one in mint condition. The only reason I want to have this FM2 repaired is for sentimental value.

Shooter
    35mm
    Snegron, you might want to try KEH as well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If those repair shops are anything like Canada its $100.00 just to look at your camera. I got a Pentax K-1000 that had been dropped on "its head" and the hot shoe was mega loose. I used some liquid solder to tighten it up. Who uses flash anyway? Availible light is the key.
    Mike

Shooter
    35mm
    Funny thing is that the hotshoe still works, even though it's just dangling by a corner!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have an FM-2 that's been returned to Nikon on a couple of occasions for repairs. It's been a while since the last time, but my sense is that it's one of the models that they take pride in being able to support even though its a couple fo decades old - demonstrates their commitment to supporting tried and true Nikon photographers, blah, blah, blah.

If all that's wrong with it is that the screws have worked loose over time, the repair cost is likely to appear "high" - just because there is a fixed charge to take it appart and then reassemble it. If it were mine, I think I might combine that repair with a general CLA - on the basis that the total cost would be about the same. OTOH, if there's something more seriously wrong, the incremental cost of the CLA won't be all that high. In either case, at the end of the process I would have a camera that I would be reasonably confident would go for another decade or so.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Check with Gary's Camera http://www22.brinkster.com/garryscamera/ they list a repair charge of $55 + $8 shipping for the FM. I had a Minolta repaired by them and was very satisfied.

Shooter
    35mm
    My FE-2, hot-shoe came loose. I watched my repair buddy fix it in about 5 minutes. Very simple repair.

Kiron Kid

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin