Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,674   Posts: 1,481,883   Online: 1150

Thread: Storing my kit.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Storing my kit.

I have just been given an ultimatum......."Get your camera "JUNK" out of my living space or it goes out the door". Yikes.

Granted, there seems to be an ever growing amount of photo gear that has accumulated over the years but "JUNK" was a hard pill to swallow. I have become a bit of a receptacle bin for peoples unwanted cameras.
    How can I safely stow cameras and lenses? Would those large plastic storage containers be ok? I"m talking about old rangefinders and leather cases as well as a bunch of 35mm slr,s.

Thanks,
    Mike

Shooter
    35mm RF
    If possible, store the cases separate from the camera. Cameras stored in leather cases seem to provide an ideal environment for fungus growth.

The plastic bins work well, and if you can get it, toss some silica gel packs into each bin. Don't store in the basement, unless you have a dry basement or a dehumidifier. And don't store them in the garage (there might be too much dampness). I guess if you're in a very arid climate, then the risk of fungus lessens.

A dry storage place of course is best. By the way, that "JUNK" comment hurt, didn't it?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by elekm
    Don't store in the basement, unless you have a dry basement or a dehumidifier. And don't store them in the garage (there might be too much dampness).
    Wise words, I learnt the hardway with my cellar :-)

Luckily it was only my collection of older cameras stored in the cellar, but I lost a Rolliecord model 1, a full Exacta SLR kit, Agifold etc etc, plus my slide collection, the damps worse when you least expect it, the summer, so mines now heated all year round.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    Ebay! Ebay! Ebay!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kennedy
    Granted, there seems to be an ever growing amount of photo gear that has accumulated over the years but "JUNK" was a hard pill to swallow.
    Send it to me, I'll store it in my garage. Of course, I'll run film through it once in a while.
    You let your other call it "JUNK"! Man! At least my wife calls it dust collectors . That's 2 words, you only get 1.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I would suggest that you place each camera in a Ziploc bag with 3 or 4 small packs of silica gel and express as much of the air as possible when closing them. Very carefully clean all camera surfaces and remove all batteries before storage. Once a year, check the bags (without opening them) to see if the gel packs look like they need replacing. I also agree about the cases. Leather can harbor a lot of bad stuff and if it goes south, it can ruin the camera where they touch. All of the Ziploc bags can then be carefully stored in large plastic bins with perhaps a bit of foam padding between cameras. Expect that shutters may freeze, lenses may become stiff, and bellows may dry rot over time...

- Randy

Shooter
    Multi Format

RE:Storage Woes.

Thanks All!
    I will go with the plastic bins & silica packs. The back to school sales will be popping up soon so they should be fairly inexpensive.
    "One mans junk .........". Many of these beauties were given to me by older folks who have either lost the "passion" or ability to use them. I have always offered to pay for them and have never been asked for anything in return.
    Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Sowerby
    Ebay! Ebay! Ebay!
    Nonono!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gimme gimme gimme!
    sounds better.
    I will kindly store them.

Mike,
    sorry to hear about the dispute.

G

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by eric
    Send it to me, I'll store it in my garage. Of course, I'll run film through it once in a while.
    You let your other call it "JUNK"! Man! At least my wife calls it dust collectors . That's 2 words, you only get 1.
    Dang, Eric beat me to it, but I'll one up him as I have a climate controlled house with and can present them on a bookshelf or in my grubby little hands when they get some exercise
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin