Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,873   Posts: 1,583,548   Online: 883

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moon shots

Shooter
    Multi Format

Moon shots

I need an answer in the next couple of hours if possible. lady friend just called and wants to go to a dark area of the beach tonight about 10 pm est and take photos of the moon and star trails, i've done this before but close to 20 yrs ago. Any advice on shutter/aperture settings and film type? Will be using Pentax Program Plus with 500mm CAT lens and possibly with a 2X converter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I seem to recall that the moon is a regular front-lit subject. So, use the sunny-16 rule giving 1/ISO in speed at f16. But, if I remember correctly, opening up 1 stop is better.

So 1/100s at f11 for 100 speed film, 1/400s at f11 for 400 speed, etc.

You can't get stars and moon detail at the same time. The moon is just too bright. So, either go for long exposures for the stars or short for the moon.

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hmmmmm... Mysterious lady wants you to go to dark, deserted beach to photograph moon and stars.........

I don't know if I would even put film in the camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks Matt

Bruce, LOL

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MattCarey
    I seem to recall that the moon is a regular front-lit subject. So, use the sunny-16 rule giving 1/ISO in speed at f16. But, if I remember correctly, opening up 1 stop is better.
    Matt
    Tonight it's side-lit, only the western half is lit. You'll need to open up a bit more, but it's safe to start at sunny-16 and then bracket (pretty widely) for more exposure. With the 500mm (+2x converter), you need to watch camera shake. You also have a fixed aperture, right? Try to choose a film that gives you good detail, but higher shutter speeds, maybe 200 to 400 ISO.

Lee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I saw something on yahoo about a meteor shower tonight if anyone's interested.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    1 / film speed at f8 1/2 - f11. If the camera will do multiple exposure on the same frame, consider putting a giant moon with the cat, and them put some other recognizeable landmark in the same frame. Check out the pink moon shot at my poor little web site. Done many many years ago and alas no pretty lady to distract and I still managed to have the moon smash into the mountains. Still it works and I get requests for it all the time.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Jim, your “poor little web site …” is not so poor. Great images! [tobacco filter??]
    [FONT=Times New Roman]MAC[/FONT]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Jim,

Those are BIG mountains. The moon is 1/4 million miles away, and yet the mountains are behind the moon, and retain such scale and detail...

Mind if I use it for a "what's wrong with this picture" question in my astro 100 class?

The meteors are best after midnight, and especially in the dark hours just before dawn. There are associated meteors for several nights before and after the peak tonight.

Lee

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    LOL I'd be honored to have one of my best used as a WTH object lesson. Tell them I live out near area 51 and leave it at that. Have them figure out how it was all done "in camera", something our digital age kids haven't thought of too much. No filters. Old film caused the moon to go pink and also corrected for the usual muddy green shift of a long exposure on Velvia.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin