Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,497   Posts: 1,543,057   Online: 941

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: nikon question

Shooter
    Multi Format
    thanks for all the suggestions,,,bottom line is it's a win-win situation no matter which one i choose

Shooter
    Multi Format
    bohica,
    You should be able to have your lenses modified to work on the FM/FE2 models. Depending on the lens, you may be able to replace them with AI lenses for similar cost.
    The modification consists of removing the aperture ring & notching it to engage the meter coupler. The only important reference is the start point for the meter.

Shooter
    35mm
    Go for the FE-2. The manual focus AI lenses are dirt cheap nowadays. It's a fantastic body. (1/250 flash sync, TTL flash....).

Kiron Kid

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you still want to use the FTN, the mercury cells problenm could be solved by using a battery adapter: www.criscam.com

Hans
    Digital is best taken with a grain of silver.

Shooter
    35mm
    If you do not require the use of TLR exposure reading then a F or F2 are both very elegant and durable cameras if you buy one that is in really good condition.

I feel that Nikon made a significant mistake in eliminating the removable prism.

I almost always use my 35mm equipment on a very heavy and stable tripod. The nicest and most useful accessory for me that Nikon offered was the high magnification finder: 5x-6x depending upon the model. To me, for what I like to do, this is more worthwhile than any auto-focus could ever be.

When I got back into 35mm equipment a few years ago the choices came down to a Nikon F5 vs a Contax RTSIII. I am certain that either camera would have worked well for me.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The F2 (especially the F2 titanium) is in my opinion the best 35mm SLR that Nikon ever made.

It has all the features I need (durability, reliability, mirror lock-up, interchangeable motor drives, interchangeable view screens, interchangeable viewfinders, 100% viewfinder accuracy, choice of four non-metered viewfinders, and battery independence).

I am still using one F2 that I bought new in 1971.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by clogz
    If you still want to use the FTN, the mercury cells problenm could be solved by using a battery adapter: www.criscam.com

Hans
    That will work, or you can just have it adjusted for the more stable and readily available 1.5v silver oxide batteries.

Kiron Kid

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Kid, this was something I was wondering,,,some of the old cameras work fine with the silver batteries, though not accurately,,but some of them couldn't take the increased voltage w/o damage. I found a liat at one point that listed some of them but nikons had not been tested

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by bohica
    Kid, this was something I was wondering,,,some of the old cameras work fine with the silver batteries, though not accurately,,but some of them couldn't take the increased voltage w/o damage. I found a liat at one point that listed some of them but nikons had not been tested
    Bohika

It's a common remedy to the battery problem. My camera guy does it all the time. Works great on the older Nikon bodies.

Kiron Kid

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've used the silver batteries for years with my F. As Flotsom does, I adjust the film speed to match my spotmeter. Works just fine.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin