Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,669   Posts: 1,481,752   Online: 904

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: nikon question

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

I have a Nikkormat Ftn, I love it.

I was in daipers when you were in 'Nam and my Nikkormat was probably on the assembly line in Japan. I use the higher voltage silver battery and Ihave yet to replace it since I picked the camera up going on two years ago. I would get your Nikkormat Ftn CLA'd adjust it for the kosher batteries and start working that shutter with some B&W film. I am a huge fan of 1960's/early 1970's Nikkor lenses. They beat anything made today, save for Leica of course.

Bill
    "Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once and a while, you might just miss it."
    Ferris Bueller

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bohica
    thanks for all the suggestions,,,bottom line is it's a win-win situation no matter which one i choose
    You said it!

Though my two cents come late, FM or FE seems to fit best your situation to me. I was VERY disappointed when I saw that the pre-ai device was discontinued on FM2 and FE2. The whole ring is made of cheap plastic on the two latter, by the way. I can't recall ever having needed their two extra speeds.

As a last note, I use my Nikkormat with contemporary batteries, and to say that the meter works PERFECTLY is an understatement. Same with all my other cameras and handheld meters. I consider the famous battery debate all just internet's rumours. I understand, however, that at this point you're already in a "new camera coming" mood...
    I know a chap who does excellent portraits. The chap is a camera.
    (Tristan Tzara, 1922)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Actually I broke down and bought a Wein cell for the FTN and had so much fun with it, that I've sent it out for a CLA and new foam, There's nothing on a FM or FM2 that I need that isn't on the FTN,So it will continue....May still upgrade the EL to an EL2 or FE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There are several sites on the web which discuss options for older cameras that use mercury batteries. Search on "mercury battery problem". If the camera uses a single battery then it is easy to insert a 1N34A diode in series with the battery to adjust its voltage to 1.35 volts and use a silver battery. This diode costs a few cents from most suppliers. Cameras using two batteries would require the use of a Schottsky diode.

Shooter
    35mm
    I have an FM (actually it's my wife's). It's great for situations which need an SLR. (I'm a rangefinder person.) Some people might consider the maximum 1/1000 shutter speed too slow, but I've never found that to be an inconvenience.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have an FM3A and I love it; the only complant, in low light the meter is hard to see. As for batteries it only needs them for the meter the camera operates without the need for battery power a comfort when some 35's refuse to operate without thier little baby batteries.
    Photography start in our minds.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As it happens, I took my FE out this last weekend. My big brother gave it to me when I wanted something more like my old OM1, but that could use the same lenses as my N90. Nice toy. Good glass is very cheap (I was using a 50mm f1.4 I got from someone on APUG, and a series E 75-150 zoom).

There is something to be said for the FTn that you have, though. No electronics boards to go flakey. My FE has a few issues which I have had to work around. Getting the FTn addapted or using the silver cells and compensating on the film speed sound like good ideas. But, if the voices are telling you to get a "new" camera, at today's prices, why not? You could get an FE and an FM camera, try them for a month or so, and sell the one(s) you like least.

Of course, selling cameras is an advanced topic I have yet to accomplish...

Matt

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin