Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,687   Posts: 1,548,627   Online: 1180

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: nikon question

Shooter
    Multi Format

nikon question

I bought a Nikkormat FTN in Viet nam in 67 and a used EL a few yrs later, The FTN hasn't gotten much use since the death of mercury cells ( i don't like the life span of the Wein replacements) and i would like to upgrade to a newer model( b4 anyone suggest an F6, I like older cameras). Thinking about a FM or FE since they would let me use my non AI lenses, but like the specs on the FE2 and Fm2 and Fm2n. Any thoughts, warnings or ideas on these cameras?

oh and thanks Matt for your timely answer to my moon shots question!!!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I have an FM2 with four lenses that I picked up cheap after it was retired in favor of a digiwigi. Good solid camera, all manual, easy-to-use controls, pretty compact. It came with the standard 50mm, a 24mm, a 50mm macro, and a 70-200 zoom. Pretty hard to beat for a 35mm. Have to admit that I've hardly used it since going to LF, but it never gave me reason to complain about anything.

In fact, since its pretty much collecting dust, I could be talked out of it.
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I have an FA and an FM3a. The FM3a is, in my opinion, as close to the perfect 35mm SLR as I can imagine. Do try to check one out before making your decision.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use FM's and an FM2n, as well as the F3. All damn good bodies. The FM2n doesn't have the swing out tab that the FM has for use of the non-Ai lenses. It really isn't expensive at all to get the lenses modified...
    Bob Fowler
    fowler@verizon.net
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In the FE vs. FE-2 comparison, the FE has the tab for pre-AI lenses, and the FE-2 has TTL flash metering and a faster shutter. Which is more valuable to you is a personal decision...but there are some amazing deals out there on pre-AI glass.

(Of course, I've been using an FE-2 since they were first sold, so I'm missing out on all of those deals...)
    Film is cheap. Opportunities are priceless.

Gim

You can always buy a hand held meter and continue to use the older nikkormats. I purchased a Gossen Digisix. I only have one camera that has a working meter, a FM2n and thats a great camera also but I really enjoy the older ones best.

jim

Shooter
    35mm
    I agree with Mongo. I have numerous FE's & FE-2's, and they're both great cameras. You can also have non-AI lenses, AI'd, quite cheaply. The FE-2 has 1/250 flash sync, which I find very useful. Plus TTL flash metering.

Kiron Kid

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I had an FE2 and wish I had never sold it. There is one in the classifieds right now for $225 or less, the seller has said to make him an offer. Here is the link: http://www.apug.org/forums/showthread.php?t=17497

I don't know why someone hasn't bought it yet! I would but I don't have the money right now.

Images
    I use my 70s era Nikon F with modern silver cells. I measured it against my handheld and compensated by adjusting the film speed to match. Check it once every few months and comp. to match. It costs nothing and works great. If you ever have it CLA'd, tell them to to adjust the meter to the higher voltages.
    It would be hard to find a better camera today.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I still use a nikkormat that has no functional lightmeter, and it works great. If you are shooting black and white film, you can really learn to meter reasonably well and print for the minor corrections needed. If you are shooting chromes, you need a real lightmeter as there is no room for error. Or bracket everything...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin