Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,810   Online: 684

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Silica Gel....Where to purchase?

Can anyone suggest a "local" establishment where one could purchase silica gel? I realize there are lots of online sources but I am trying to minimize my cost.
    When I phoned around yesterday to a number of shops they said "yes" we get silica in our products and "NO" we will not save them for you. And its always the same asinine reasoning..."If we do it for you then we will have to do it for everyone".

Thank You,
    Mike

Shooter
    35mm
    Among other things, silica gel is used for drying flowers to use in decorative dried flower arrangements. I buy it at Michael's, a chain of arts and crafts stores in the US. Just go to an arts and crafts store and ask if they have any of that stuff that's used for drying flowers. What I got came in a cylindrical container. In large red letters it says Flower Drying Art. In much smaller letters it says Flower Art Silica Gel.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Fisher scienctific has it by the two gallon jar. The good thing about it is that it can be reused; by drying it in your kitchen oven. Not sure of the spelling

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have some relatively large (1/2 lb) bags of silica gel that came packed with motorcycles built overseas. I've had it quite a while, so that may not be common practice anymore. But you might try calling a local Honda/Yamaha/etc dealer.

Shooter
    Multi Format

BINGO !!!!

Just got off the phone with an arts & crafts shop and they can supply me with a jar of reusable silica.
    Incidently,I had called them yesterday about "storing my old cameras" and they didn"t have a solution. When I phoned today I said that photography was now a thing of the past and I wanted to take up drying & pressing wild flowers. Guess it was all in the wording.

Thanks All,
    Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well I'm glad you found it, otherwise I could have offered to buy you some in small bags from...my local photo shop!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Mike,
    Interesting isn't it? The question just has to be framed so the person hearing it has a point of reference. A simple rephrasing changes everything.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy
    Mike,
    Interesting isn't it? The question just has to be framed so the person hearing it has a point of reference. A simple rephrasing changes everything.
    Very true. Of course, that can work both ways. I got my silica gel for camera equipment storage, but now I keep thinking about maybe actually trying to dry a flower with it.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Some of the new cat litter products are actually silica gel. Try your supermarket's pet supply area or go to the local pet shop and ask there.

Cheers,
    Graeme
    Graeme Hird
    www.scenebyhird.com

Failure is NOT an option! It comes bundled with your software ....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, I'm cheap. I just grab the little sacks of silicia gel that come with new shoes. Throw them in the camera bag and away I go!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin