Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,957   Posts: 1,558,053   Online: 1096

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Canon EOS Elan 7NE(30v) Vs Nikon N80 (F80)

I was playing with a friends Dynax 40 the other day and I thought WOW it was so light the AF was so fast (although the lens itself wasn't) and the features like the flash popping up automatically when the light wasn't good enough had me drooling over it. OK that is one of the very automatic futures but I don't have to use it.
    OK So I was supprised at how good modern film cameras have got.
    I Also went and played with an F80 in Dixons and WOW it was so quiet.
    I tend to miss too many shots with my OM-10,
    I know that primes produce better results but so does 100 speed film, and I found that I got better results with 400 speed film, when it gets dull, the reason was that 100 speed was so slow it was counter productive, I got more shots with the 400 speed. And as I have seen 400 speed film is pretty good these days. I get thought lots of Superia 400 and XP2. Same with prime lenses I don't get the shot because I cant get close enough Well not with out getting spotted.
    Also these cameras are so much quicker to use, no need to spend time focusing, and winding, I find I am not very good at it and I missed a really great split second moment the other day while getting focus.
    I will be buying a Nikon or Canon Prime eventually (An AF 50mm 1.8 just like the Zuiko I have now) But I zoom Will Be a good start as I don't have that much money, I intend to keep my OM-10 (sell the OM-30) and use that for landscapes until I can afford some modern Primes.

I don't think I want to go with Minolta, because the camera I buy now will probably be the mount I will stick with forever. I was thinking more of the Nikon F80 or Canon EOS 30v because I can get it so cheap on the net at the moment (although some of the F80s tend to be N80s smuggled from aboard)

So anybody have any suggestions. I have also noticed that even thought the 30v doesn't cost a lot more new or second hand, they don't often come up on eBay while there are lots of F80s. I suppose the main features I want are very Fast AF, A very wide range of ISO speeds (for Pushing) A longer metered exposure (my OM-10 gives up after 8 Seconds no matter what) and a good lens selection.

(One thing about that guy with his Minolta, He uses it as a P&S, He basicly went into Jessops, and was looking at the Digi cams, and he saw the SLRs were the same price and he said he thought sod that Ill get one of them, Supprised more P&S people don't notice, What look to them as the big cameras pros use, going for the same price as P&S digital more often.)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ajuk,
    The two cameras you're looking at are equivalent. I don't use either but have sold both. Canon has the price advantage when you get to adding lenses & tend to be more innovative in lens design. Nikon seems to be resting on it's laurels as a historically pro tool and is more conservative when it comes to introducing new lenses.
    Physical size may be a deciding factor too, Nikon is just slightly more compact than the Canon.
    When it comes to lens choice both mfrs. will give great results from prime lenses but I would stay away from the "G" lenses from Nikon primarily from a durability standpoint(plastic mounts).
    For what it's worth, in 35mm I use mainly Pentax MX & KX after using Nikon for years.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have always used Nikons, but I think either of these cameras will work just fine for you. One note on the Nikon G lenses, the G designation only refers to the lack of an aperture ring, which you won't use on the F80 anyway. They started out as the cheapies, and you do have to watch out for those, but some pro or near pro level G lenses have now been introduced that are very nice lenses. I would also consider avoiding the kit lens that is available with the camera (likely with either camera), at least take a good look at it, the plastic lens mouts are really not meant for someone who will really change their lenses very often.

Have fun!

Paul.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I agree with Shaggy about Canon v. Nikon lenses, but Nikon still does a very good range. My significant other bought an Elan 7E at the same time as I bought an N80. Features and price are very similar. Our preferences came down to ergonomics - to me the Nikon controls are more intuitive & better laid out and it feels better in the hand. Of course that's a personal choice - can you borrow both for a days shooting to see which you prefer?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    N80 has spot meter
    Money is not the problem. The problem is, I don't have any.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Seriously the canon has no spot meter?

Shooter
    35mm
    It's 35mm shooting. How important is a spot meter, with this type of shooting? It's not like we're practitioners of the Zone system, knocking out 30x36" prints.....

Kiron Kid

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiron Kid
    It's 35mm shooting. How important is a spot meter, with this type of shooting? It's not like we're practitioners of the Zone system, knocking out 30x36" prints.....

Kiron Kid
    And if we are?
    Money is not the problem. The problem is, I don't have any.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The 7NE also has a mirror lockup feature which the Nikon lacks. I've always been amazed as to why Nikon won't put this feature on anything but there highly expensive top of the line model. I believe the N80 will prefire the mirror when the timer mode is used but I don't find that to be as convenient as locking up the mirror when I want to. Canon also integrates newer more innovative features into their less costly lenses such as Image Stabilization whereas with Nikon you have to spend serious money on glass before you can get this feature. Other than that, both systems are top notch and should serve you well depending on what your personal style is. I doubt you would be highly disappointed either way.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by djklmnop
    And if we are?
    Oh. I was just kidding. But keep in mind, that we're talking roll film, not sheet film here. I'm a practitioner of the Zone system too. However, to achieve it's full benefits, one must soup the frames individually. Not possible with roll film.

Kiron Kid
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Kent, gas & cafe.jpg  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin