Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,469   Posts: 1,570,882   Online: 1084

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Medium Format
    OCD is what slackers call perfectionists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, this can happen with a Leica to. 3 weeks ago on the banks of the very fine river the VIGE in France, wile changing film rolls, the shutter stoped halfway open (or close). Noting could help, no shacking, no turning the speed dail, no cocking the shutter, noting helped. Till I got home and , by coincidence I gently touched the shutter curtain thru the lens opening and, click, it worked again! In the main time I went on shooting with the other M5 I was carrying. But not on the right film. One is always loaded with APX 100 and the other with Tri-X or APX 400. After what happened I did not tempted to change the film roll (from Tri-X into APX 100) on the river bank.
    Yes, "..het kan verkeren.." said Bredero, the famous Dutch writer.
    Good luck,
    Philippe

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Reminds me of the near death experience during my first wedding (shooting, not actual marriage).. My partner, with only one body, sprayed canned air on her shutter and knocked it loose.... I don't know what she did but she fouled it up pretty good.... We managed to get it fixed the next morning, an hour before the wedding but it was a close call.... Always have a back up, and a back up for the back up.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I put a Canon F1 on top of my car, got in and drove off. I noticed something small and balck going down the asphalt road in my rear view mirror. I turned around and went back and picked it up. The light meter stopped working, but everything else on the camera worked fine. I had it for over 3 more years until someone in Philadelphia stole it from me.

Buy a Canon F1 (the old one) - when it breaks, it will still work.

-Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    OCD to me = Oxford Classical Dictionary. Ho hum.

Between us, my wife and I have 7 Olympus OM bodies. They all get used. We actually had five out today. One is on the copying stand and this afternoon we were on a site where I was using B&W, slide and col neg film, one in each body and she was doing macro work with another. Sad huh.

David.

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Having two bodies doesn't always help. Neither one of my Ricoh Singlex II bodies works; one has a screw loose (literally, it fell out after jamming in the advance gears) and fires on advance instead of when the release is pressed; the other has a very, very slow first blade and will only actually open the shutter after a bit over 1 second in B.

Someday, I'll open them up and fix 'em; I could buy two more (without knowing they'd work) for what it'd cost to get one fixed professionally. Meantime, my Spotmatic (same lens mount) keeps plugging away; the meter recently died, but the all-mechanical body is just fine, despite 24 years (that I've had it, plus up to 14 before that) without servicing...
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A very wise man Bob, and probably a very tired one,when I did weddings I took three Mamiya bodys, two Metz flashguns, two lightmeters and five lenses you want to get yourself an assistant to carry the gear, or a truss !! I understand there are more instances of back trouble in photographers than any other profession.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I normally have two F1 Ns with me when I am out shooting and sometimes a third if I am a long way from home. All have motor drives as well so they are a bit heavy by the end of the day. For MF I have a Mamiya Press with three backs so I can change between film types whenever the need arises.

Gord

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Woolliscroft
    OCD to me = Oxford Classical Dictionary. Ho hum.

Between us, my wife and I have 7 Olympus OM bodies. They all get used. We actually had five out today. One is on the copying stand and this afternoon we were on a site where I was using B&W, slide and col neg film, one in each body and she was doing macro work with another. Sad huh.

David.
    David,
    Actually, that's not sad. If anything it's kinda sweet that you and your wife share a love for OM's.
    Ara
    Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    You are absolutely ok! I am about to buy another EOS body as a spare (They sell very cheap now).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin