Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,498   Posts: 1,543,146   Online: 1044

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Sorensen
    It is not made by Nikon (Cosina? Someone else will know for sure)...
    Yup...Cosina. Cosina actually provides that same body for a bunch of manufacturers. Check out the catalogs or web sites of the big retailers...each camera manufacturer has a "bottom-end" manual camera, and they're almost all the same Cosina body with different lens mounts and a few minor cosmetic differences. Cosina even sells the same body under their own name (with, I believe, a Pentax K-mount).

I think it was these bodies and the kit lenses that come with the bodies more than anything else that allowed Cosina to stay in business long enough to bring out the higher quality cameras they're now making (the Voigtlander Bessa series, the Bessamatic, and now the Zeiss-Ikon). Unfortunately, everyone I know who's purchased one of these low-end bodies has had problems with it before the camera was 2 years old...one hopes that Cosina will bring some of their newer engineering expertise to bear on these bodies some day.

For today, though, I'd avoid the FM10 in favor of almost any other Nikon body...even a well used Nikon FG is likely to be a better choice.
    Film is cheap. Opportunities are priceless.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    What about this GREAT kit Alex Hawley is selling?
    Can`t get much better than that in manual focus, besides Leica.

http://www.apug.org/forums/showthread.php?t=18588

Go for it!

Cheers

André

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Juba
    What about this GREAT kit Alex Hawley is selling?
    Can`t get much better than that in manual focus, besides Leica.

http://www.apug.org/forums/showthread.php?t=18588

Go for it!

Cheers

André

Thanks for the plug Andre'. I'll give myself another one - mjames, the FM2 I'm offering would give a lot more for the money than a new FM3 unless you're getting a real low-ball deal. As I remember, Nikon stopped producing the FM2 and didn't have an all-manual camera for a while. The FM3 was its replacement but the reviews I read didn't believe it was quite as good in ruggedness and operation as the FM2 had been.

Good luck with whatever you decide to buy.
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you go new the Nikon FM3 is it. Used manual SLR's, I would look at the Nikkormat FTN, the Nikon F and the Pentax Spotmatic which is the real bargin.

Bill
    "Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once and a while, you might just miss it."
    Ferris Bueller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Politely, I'd warn that the Nikon F and Nikkormat meters, if they aren't working, are essentially unrepairable. Therefore, factor in a hand-held meter to your price.

The spotmatics are interesting from a body standpoint, but the price of lenses, at least at KEH, is very similar to and sometimes higher than the price of equivalent Nikon glass. The only exception is the 17mm fisheye from Pentax is about a hundred dollars cheaper than the 16mm from Nikon, at the cost of an f-stop.

Personally (literally: Personally) I would recommend a used FM2 or F3. A late model F2A, which meters with AI lenses is a good choice. I've become rather attached to the 100% finders on my F and F2A. If you aren't wedded to Nikon, then a Canon FD system, built around an A1 or F1 would be a good choice as well.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I have a FM3a and I absolutely love it. It is compact and rugged, and it is my "take anywhere" camera. I use it with the 45 pancake lens, the 28mm, and the 105/2.5 lens.

Having said that, I would have to say that Alex's kit is very attractively priced! If I were you, I'd go for that.
    Macy
    Just trying to be the person my dogs think I am.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The FM and FM2n are dirt cheap used. Even cheaper are the Nikkormats. The FTn takes an obsolete battery so the FT2 and FT3 are better choices. You can't get $100 for a used FT3 and yet they are built like tanks and have AI meter coupling. I won't sell mine for that price and I don't even need it so I keep it. Be opportunistic and buy one from someone who is willing.

The bargain-grade KEH stuff is dirt cheap. I just paid $72 for an FE so an FE should be well under $100.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin