Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 76,266   Posts: 1,680,809   Online: 723

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

I have my answer!

The 1n's and 2n's ARE affected by the prism foam. I received my tool set from Beljan today and (in between rediculous political sniping in the soap box) performed the operation on my beater OM-2n. It went remarkably well, and I'll be doing the rest of my OM bodies soon. I can't say enough good about Joe Beljan's OM tool set, it's probably the best $40 I've spent on ebay in quite awhile. (usual disclaimer: I have no financial interests with Beljan Mfg.)

Bruce

Shooter
    35mm

OM-1 foam

Quote Originally Posted by BruceN
    I just discovered this. Does anyone know which models are affected? Is it only the OM-1's and 2's, or are the newer 1n and 2n models affected as well?

Thanks,

Bruce
    OM-1's (chrome) were produced with prism foam up to approximate serial serial number of about 1,110,000. Above that number (and continuing to where the 1N chrome started) they were produced without prism foam. MANY old OM-1 bodies show deteriorated prism foam by dark green or black blotches in the viewfinder. Once a blotch shows up, it means the old foam has turned to goo and eaten through the paint and aluminum coating on the prism. The only rela fix is to replace the prism. OM-1 Black were also made with prism foam up to the same serial number. Unfortunately, ALL 1N bodies were made WITH prism foam. Hope this helps!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by John Hermanson View Post
    OM-1's (chrome) were produced with prism foam up to approximate serial serial number of about 1,110,000. Above that number (and continuing to where the 1N chrome started) they were produced without prism foam. MANY old OM-1 bodies show deteriorated prism foam by dark green or black blotches in the viewfinder. Once a blotch shows up, it means the old foam has turned to goo and eaten through the paint and aluminum coating on the prism. The only rela fix is to replace the prism. OM-1 Black were also made with prism foam up to the same serial number. Unfortunately, ALL 1N bodies were made WITH prism foam. Hope this helps!
    This is an old thread...
    But inaccurate the old damaged prism can just be cleaned and replaced you won't notice any difference.
    Use a soft plastic tool to flick off damaged paint and coating if you DIY.

The magic is called total internal reflection.

Best to do it this decade rather than delay.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There's another option too... The prisms from double-digit OMs are the same as for the OM-1 and 2 and were never fitted with foam. A 'spares or repair' OM-10 makes for a good, cheap prism donor.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by klownshed View Post
    There's another option too... The prisms from double-digit OMs are the same as for the OM-1 and 2 and were never fitted with foam. A 'spares or repair' OM-10 makes for a good, cheap prism donor.
    They don't always swap...

Shooter
    Multi Format

Blankety blank Foam

Amazing that Olympus and many other makers used and continue to use that %^*(*&*)_(( foam! Wouldn't black felt have done the job? Light seals on backs. Grrrrr..... Back in the day the back/body juncture used a light trap. Was it that expensive?? Should have been a one-time design expense, and perhaps better manufacturing tolerances. And again the hinge area could use black felt.

Sorry, I'm feeling my years this Monday.

But I suppose that the digital revolution takes care of this problem, 'cept for those of us who shoot both. Lovin' my film gear, expecting a Bronica S2a in the mail today. Yummy! Company for the YashicaMat and the Pentax 645n.
    This email is a natural hand-made product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and in no way are to be considered flaws.

Shooter
    35mm
    Do not go thru the time, expense and trouble to find a "donor" prism as a replacement. What you are seeing in the viewfinder is not the lost silvering; it is the damaged silvering still sticking to the prism and edge of the remaining silvering. Remove the the old, gunky foam from the camera (a bit of a messy job). Then remove any damaged silvering from the prism and clean the area and feather the edge of the good silvering using Simichrome or toothpaste. The view thru the viewfinder will look like new.

I have done this repair a couple of times and it works every bit as well as putting in a pristine prism.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I once substituted the prism of an OM-1 with one of a broken OM-10. Works like a charm.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    That's really good info that the prism can be made good without replacement. I have a box of parts cameras that I have pulled prisms from. Feel kinda bad but they gave some other good parts as well.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I have put prisms from OM-10s into several OM-1s. They always fit perfectly. I've never seen an OM-10 with foam over the prism, so they were always good.

OM-10s are also a good source of split-image-type focusing screens for OM-1s. They fit, but lack the little tab for holding, so one must take extra care when handling them.

Mark Overton

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin