Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,248   Posts: 1,660,292   Online: 1033

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format

I have my answer!

The 1n's and 2n's ARE affected by the prism foam. I received my tool set from Beljan today and (in between rediculous political sniping in the soap box) performed the operation on my beater OM-2n. It went remarkably well, and I'll be doing the rest of my OM bodies soon. I can't say enough good about Joe Beljan's OM tool set, it's probably the best $40 I've spent on ebay in quite awhile. (usual disclaimer: I have no financial interests with Beljan Mfg.)

Bruce

Shooter
    35mm

OM-1 foam

Quote Originally Posted by BruceN
    I just discovered this. Does anyone know which models are affected? Is it only the OM-1's and 2's, or are the newer 1n and 2n models affected as well?

Thanks,

Bruce
    OM-1's (chrome) were produced with prism foam up to approximate serial serial number of about 1,110,000. Above that number (and continuing to where the 1N chrome started) they were produced without prism foam. MANY old OM-1 bodies show deteriorated prism foam by dark green or black blotches in the viewfinder. Once a blotch shows up, it means the old foam has turned to goo and eaten through the paint and aluminum coating on the prism. The only rela fix is to replace the prism. OM-1 Black were also made with prism foam up to the same serial number. Unfortunately, ALL 1N bodies were made WITH prism foam. Hope this helps!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by John Hermanson View Post
    OM-1's (chrome) were produced with prism foam up to approximate serial serial number of about 1,110,000. Above that number (and continuing to where the 1N chrome started) they were produced without prism foam. MANY old OM-1 bodies show deteriorated prism foam by dark green or black blotches in the viewfinder. Once a blotch shows up, it means the old foam has turned to goo and eaten through the paint and aluminum coating on the prism. The only rela fix is to replace the prism. OM-1 Black were also made with prism foam up to the same serial number. Unfortunately, ALL 1N bodies were made WITH prism foam. Hope this helps!
    This is an old thread...
    But inaccurate the old damaged prism can just be cleaned and replaced you won't notice any difference.
    Use a soft plastic tool to flick off damaged paint and coating if you DIY.

The magic is called total internal reflection.

Best to do it this decade rather than delay.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There's another option too... The prisms from double-digit OMs are the same as for the OM-1 and 2 and were never fitted with foam. A 'spares or repair' OM-10 makes for a good, cheap prism donor.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by klownshed View Post
    There's another option too... The prisms from double-digit OMs are the same as for the OM-1 and 2 and were never fitted with foam. A 'spares or repair' OM-10 makes for a good, cheap prism donor.
    They don't always swap...

Shooter
    Multi Format

Blankety blank Foam

Amazing that Olympus and many other makers used and continue to use that %^*(*&*)_(( foam! Wouldn't black felt have done the job? Light seals on backs. Grrrrr..... Back in the day the back/body juncture used a light trap. Was it that expensive?? Should have been a one-time design expense, and perhaps better manufacturing tolerances. And again the hinge area could use black felt.

Sorry, I'm feeling my years this Monday.

But I suppose that the digital revolution takes care of this problem, 'cept for those of us who shoot both. Lovin' my film gear, expecting a Bronica S2a in the mail today. Yummy! Company for the YashicaMat and the Pentax 645n.
    This email is a natural hand-made product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and in no way are to be considered flaws.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin