Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,908   Posts: 1,556,007   Online: 1105

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nikon N80

Shooter
    35mm

Nikon N80

What do you guys think about the Nikon N80? From what I've read, it seems like a pretty good moderately priced camera.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I've had one for the past 5 years, and I like it a lot - it has been all over the world with me. Small and light, it has one of the newer autofocus modules. I would consider buying another one.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by roteague
    it has one of the newer autofocus modules.
    As in, my N80 could have an older focus module??

I ask that because that is my only gripe with my N80... The AF is a little slow at times. It will at times do a lot of "searching". Know what I mean? It also uses one of those little lights, for low light situations, for the AF, which also annoys the crap out of me... If I am trying to shoot something candid, the light tips the people off....

But thats my only gripe.. I love that camera. I have considered another for a backup.. I may get a used F100 or F5 though, for a primary.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I have both an N80 and a F5. I find that for ocean scenes, the N80 locks focus easier than the F5. I bought the F5 a couple of months ago so now I use the N80 as my backup camera. I like the focus selector on the N80 better than the F5 and the N80's viewfinder grid is nice as well, but I found the N80 to be a bit small (I have the battery pack for it, so it isn't too bad). The F5 is in a totally different league; it is much bigger and heavier.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    for the different price points out there, I would look at a pre-owned F100, it is a heck of a camera for the money, still small enough to handle easy, and very durable feeling in your hands, I am not a Nikon person, but absolutely love the feel of the F100 in my hands.

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I bought one about 2 years ago, also witht the battery grip. I wouldn't use autofocus for landscapes but i do use it for people shots and a couple weddings. It searches quite a bit. It sucks compared to the eos-1N i got recently from the big auction site. The other reason why i'm disapointed is that the camera shuts down in cold weather. Anything below 35deg. F and it won't work. I don't know if they all do this or not. I tried both battery options and no luck.
    You've got to get the f5 if you want all the good features like 100% viewfinder coverage, autofocus, weather seals, metal body, mirror lock-up, and fast frame rate. just my 2cents
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Excellent camera. Ergonomically the best I've handled by a long, long way. I've had mine for about five years and like it more each time I use it.

Highly recommended.
    The destination is important, but so is the journey

Shooter
    35mm
    I considered the N80, until I discovered it's 1/125 flash sync. I then purchased an N90. Which I really like. If the flash sync is not a concern, the N80, is a fine camera.

Kiron Kid

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bighead
    I ask that because that is my only gripe with my N80... The AF is a little slow at times.
    It depends on the lens you're using. AF is pretty fast when I use primes, and slow with my cheap 70-300 zoom (plus it sounds like this thing is powered by a diesel engine )
    Franck Yvonnet
    Wannabe artist
    http://Fra.nck-Yvon.net

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bighead
    ??

I ask that because that is my only gripe with my N80... The AF is a little slow at times. It will at times do a lot of "searching". Know what I mean? It also uses one of those little lights, for low light situations, for the AF, which also annoys the crap out of me... If I am trying to shoot something candid, the light tips the people off.....
    Tip- Buy the F100 or the F5 or 6, for that price, don`t complaint.

Quote Originally Posted by Satinsnow
    for the different price points out there, I would look at a pre-owned F100, it is a heck of a camera for the money, still small enough to handle easy, and very durable feeling in your hands, I am not a Nikon person, but absolutely love the feel of the F100 in my hands.

Dave
    Now, that`s a good piece of advice!

Quote Originally Posted by wildbill
    It sucks compared to the eos-1N i got recently from the big auction site. The other reason why i'm disapointed is that the camera shuts down in cold weather. Anything below 35deg. F and it won't work.
    And your comparison also sucks, how can you compare those two machines?
    One, a flagship of Canon, the other one, a semi-professional body from Nikon, ridiculous!
    I live in Helsinki/Finland, I can asure it`s cold enough, have worked with the "little wonder" outdoors with -25c and never shut down, maybe your one was a lemon?

The bottom-line is, for the price, the F80 it`s the big bargain of that class of machines.

Cheers

André

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin