Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,826   Posts: 1,581,998   Online: 826

Shooter
    35mm

Buying Imported/Grey Market Cameras

Does anyone know anything about purchasing imported or "grey market" cameras? I know that the warranty is void in such a situation, but are there any other downsides?

I found a Nikon FM3A for a kick-ass price at BHPhotoVideo.com. It's only $499, which is several hundred less than at my local camera shop. Has anyone ever used this dealer?

Thanks!

Shooter
    Large Format
    I've bought a lot from B&H Photo, usually the "grey market" stuff. Never had a problem.
    —Eric

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mjames
    Does anyone know anything about purchasing imported or "grey market" cameras? I know that the warranty is void in such a situation, but are there any other downsides?

I found a Nikon FM3A for a kick-ass price at BHPhotoVideo.com. It's only $499, which is several hundred less than at my local camera shop. Has anyone ever used this dealer?

Thanks!
    Hi,
    You have already figured out downside # 1, i.e., obtaining warranty service is likely to be impossible. I would send an e-mail to Nikon and ask what would be the cost to repair a defective shutter in a camera that was not sold through official channels (yes, they can tell that it was not a Nikon USA camera) and you will know the exact dollar value of the risk you take in buying the camera.
    Celac.
    Last edited by pelerin; 08-23-2005 at 10:00 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: grammer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    B&H is very reliable, plus they include some sort of warranty on their imported items. If the difference is significant, I am happy to do it, for many items, the difference is very small any more and the convenience of not having to go through B&H or a third party for warranty service is enough to justify the extra money. You can check with them on the warranty, I feel that they are extremely reliable and if they are warrantying it enough for your satisfaction, trust them and go for it.

Paul.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    B&H will be straightforward about what kind of warrantee you get. See if it has an international warrantee. I'd rather send it to Japan for factory service than to a third-party service center, unless I knew that the third-party service center was really good.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Most of the grey stuff B&H sells, has what is called a "Mack" warranty, which normally is pretty good, when I worked in the photo store, we sold alot of grey DSLR cameras, because it was so difficult to get the USA designated cameras, and never had any customers who had any problems getting anything fixed.

Dave

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin