Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,963   Posts: 1,523,232   Online: 850

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Canon 85/1.8 is a splendid lens. If you want a portrait lens first, and a macro lens second, you can add a 'close up lens' that works very well. I picked up a Leitz Elpro a few years ago that, with an adapter ring, gives great results. The Elpro series, Nikkor and Zeiss Proxars are VERY good for this purpose ( a world of difference between these and the cheapo sets). For me, this is a better choice than using a macro lens which too often has a wiry, and harsh 'look' for faces. But that's just me :rolleyes:
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If I can add the thoughts of a Nikon-ite.

I have the 85 f1.8, and it is a good lens. I do find that sometime close-up that the depth of field is too shallow wide open. I like the 80-200mm, but it is a bazooka, and it only focuses to 6'.

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I prefer a 90mm to a 100mm or longer for head shots, the slightly flattened perspective can be flattering without being too obvious. I agree that primes are best. Aside from the added speed and the fact that, even today, they are often a bit better optically, you can get narrower depth of field, which can be nice.

David.

Shooter
    35mm
    I have and use the legendary Nikkor 105 f/2.5. It's a fantastic lens. I also have and use the phenomenal Kiron 105 f/2.8 macro lens. It goes 1:1 without any adapters of any kind, and is sharper than the Nikkor 105 macro. When using it for portrait work, I always add a touch of diffusion, due to its extreme sharpness.

Kiron Kid

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ill second the Sigma 105mm/2,8 although I got rid of mine.
    Reason is it lacked just the last tiny bit I wanted compared (unfair) to a friends 200mm nikor. another thing was the out of focus areas that I found ugly when stopped down. Notice however this was doing macro which it is designed for and the few portraits I have done didn't suffer from these drawbacks so I think it would make a great portraitlens also I did color only at that time so I don't know how it behaves with B&W. In spite this I was happy with mine for some years and I don't feel sorry for buying it.
    Another thing although expensive is the T/S lenses. Canons own 90mm might be to expensive in your taste but you can find cheaper BIG-lenses that might be worth a try. The point is the ability to play with the plane of focus which could bring in a new dimension to your fetish shots and prepare you for your inevitable move to LF But thats just a thought.
    Regards S°ren

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I use Canon 100mm Macro for portrait and some close focus work, very good lens. worth considering.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would throw my hat in the 85 USM ring - a friend of mine has one, and I have used it and seen his results, and WOW! I love that lens! Not only is it wondrful otpically, it is a joy to use, you get the feeling its good qualityitem (unlike many new Canon glass...) and the focus is whisper quiet and seems fast and accurate even on AF. I have a 80-200mm "L" zoom for the FD system, and can tell you that for the type of shooting I like, it gets too long and too slow (f4) pretty quick - so that is a general issue I would look into with longer, slower glass. But if you can get away from hand holding most of the time (I seem to never be able to...) - a slower lens may be fine.
    Do look at that 85 though, I mean take in hand at a store - you may fall in love with it!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin