Switch to English Language Passer en langue franÁaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,212   Posts: 1,532,067   Online: 1218

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Rescue BBQed lens

Did something stupid, donít ask why.

Last weekend, I painful found that shooting BBQ smoke and fire at a close distance is not a good thing to do, because you will end up with a thin layer of oil on the lens! I tried to use lens cleaning fluid to get rid of it, but didnít success.

Please let me know that you guys have other ways to deal with it otherwise I have to say bye-bye to my lovely lens

Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Try some Ponds Cold Cream. Put a healthy amount on some lens tissue and - gently - smear it on the lens. Let it sit for a few minutes and then carefully wipe it off. Follow that with a "normal" cleaning with lens cleaner and tissue. That usually takes 99% of fungus off a lens, and if it will take that off, it'll take off just about anything. BTW - I've done this and NOT damaged coatings...
    Bob Fowler
    fowler@verizon.net
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Common dishwashing soap - not the machine kind, but the liquid soao you use when washing by hand. One drop in a little water, wash gently, then pure water, and let dry. I learned this from my optician: He had tried just about every product there is, and Zalo diswashing iquid is the best. So he's stopped stocking lens cleaning stuff!
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I'll second Ole's advice. All is not lost.

Pete
    "ÖAction always generates inspiration. Inspiration seldom generates action."

Frank Tibolt

WWW.DENDRINOS FINE ART.COM

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thanks guys!

Dish washing soap is easy to find, I am going to try that. Is lemon flavored alright?

Alex

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  ó   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin