Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,900   Posts: 1,555,802   Online: 810

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Light leaks !?!

Shooter
    35mm

Light leaks !?!

Hello everyone!
    I recently bought my first 35mm slr - nikon fm2n
    Had couple of rolls developed at lab, then started developing film myself. The rolls from the lab and first one I developed at home turned out just fine, however couple of next ones show this problem

pic1

pic2

Is it possible that my camera somehow got light leaks or shutter problem ???
    Or could it be poor developing tehnique (I'm using old russian developing tank, because that's the only kind we can get here) ?

Thanks in advance!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well I have never seen lightleaks do that and Im almost certain it not your shutter.
    You could test for light leaks by exposing the hole cameraback to bright light, take it into the darkroom or just put on the lenscap and press the shutter. make a couple of frames like that and have the film developed.
    Do the same to another film and develop that one yourself.
    Søren

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    That's probably uneven development at the edges. THere are several threads on this http://www.apug.org/forums/showthrea...ht=surge+marks
    http://www.apug.org/forums/showthrea...ht=surge+marks
    I've had this problem mostly with 120 but it looks like what you have.
    Good luck,
    James

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This is uneven development. It is hard to say what will work best with your tank. Try to agitate by 3-4 quick complete inversions and let the tank sit in between, for 1 min. If this doens't help agitate more vigouriously, if you get surge-marks from the sprocket-holes agitate more gently.

best

Stefan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    These certainly do not look likelight leaks. I have seen similar effects on the print side - with out of adjustment enlargers causing light fall-off - but I would second the uneven development hypothesis.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks guys! I guess I'll have to experiment a bit with my agitation tehnique.

Shooter
    35mm
    I ran across a Web page describing a Russian film tank once. (Unfortunately I don't have a bookmark.) If Crio's tank is like the one I read about, it can't be inverted; agitation is done solely by twirling a knob, IIRC.

Perhaps adding a bit more solution to the tank (if that's possible) would help matters. Since you say your first home-developed roll was OK, try thinking back to how you agitated and otherwise processed that roll. Did you do anything differently from the way you did the subsequent rolls?

As a last resort, if you can buy something via eBay or an online merchant, you could buy a new (or used) non-Russian tank. If that's not possible and you want another tank, perhaps you could arrange a trade. (I might even be willing to buy a used tank off eBay to trade you, just for the novelty of having an old Russian tank. )

Shooter
    35mm
    I found that website too, but AFTER I had already figured out how to use it by myself (not an easy task)

LINK

this thing cost me ~ 1.5$ btw

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Crio, Where are you located ? I have a paterson you can have.
    Søren

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hey, those Russians make some beautiful tanks - take the T34 for example... a real war winner!

Sorry - couldnt resist!

Thumbs up for the Patterson tank - many a roll went through mine, with no issues. If you can get one, you will be eliminating a variable, I think.
    Best of luck.,

Peter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin