Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,571   Posts: 1,545,632   Online: 969

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Nikon 'waist level finder'

I've been experimenting with my new Nikon waist level finder that someone gave me. It works pretty slick, but you have to get used to it. A totally different perspective. Nobody knows you're taking their picture. Anyway......has anyone out there tried this? The one thing I don't like is it seems to allow dirt/dust to get onto the focusing screen. Is this a known problem or is there a piece of glass that's supposed to be in there? (like the normal finder - I have the high eyepoint). It's neat experimenting with a feeble attempt at street photography...for those who may be a little shy....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use a DW-3 waist level with my F3 quite often. It's great for "down in the weeds" shooting.
    Bob Fowler
    fowler@verizon.net
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by djkloss
    Nobody knows you're taking their picture. Anyway......has anyone out there tried this? The one thing I don't like is it seems to allow dirt/dust to get onto the focusing screen. It's neat experimenting with a feeble attempt at street photography...for those who may be a little shy....
    I used to use it a lot. It is great for street photo. I used it on my F2. What I liked about it, is that with both eyes, you can see a better perspective than just 1 eye. Its more like seeing a print when you look down. I used it mostly with a 24mm or 35mm lens.
    Is your an F2 or F3?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by eric
    I used to use it a lot. It is great for street photo. I used it on my F2. What I liked about it, is that with both eyes, you can see a better perspective than just 1 eye. Its more like seeing a print when you look down. I used it mostly with a 24mm or 35mm lens.
    Is your an F2 or F3?
    I use it with my F3 & a 28mm or 24mm. I haven't tried it w/the 14mm yet. But I do like wandering the streets with it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by djkloss
    I use it with my F3 & a 28mm or 24mm. I haven't tried it w/the 14mm yet. But I do like wandering the streets with it.
    What I understand is that you can get full metering with the F3 and Waist Level finder. With the F2 and waist level, I lose my metering.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by eric
    What I understand is that you can get full metering with the F3 and Waist Level finder. With the F2 and waist level, I lose my metering.
    Yes, but the read out is so tiny, it's hardly worth it. I use my Gossen instead.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The waist level finder on a twin lens reflex camera was the main reason why some photographers could get away with using this big medium format camera for street shooting.

Shooter
    35mm
    I use mine mostly for copy stand work

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My DW3 is used a lot in crowd situations. It enables me to hold the camera overhead and using a 24mm lens I can point it in the right direction. Without the finder on, I cannot see the focusing screen if there is a lot of sunlight.

I also use the DA2 action finder with a motorcycle helmet on, you really can see the viewfinder, it's also good in crowd situations as you get reasonably good focus, with the camera about 300mm away from your eyes.

For getting down amongst plants or real close work I use the DW4. I thought the small close focusing lupe on the DW3 was pretty good until I got the DW4.

In short, with different finders and the correct focusing screen, you really can change your perspective and have fun at the same time.

Mick.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin