Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,761   Posts: 1,516,088   Online: 943

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Picked up Early Asahi Pentax K c 1958

Good morning,
    I recently picked up this mint Asahi Pentax K circa 1958, from what I gather it was made for only one year. For base of reference this is an M42 screwmount body that looks like but pre dates the Spotmatic. It came with museum grade 55/1.8, 135/3.5 Takaumar lenses and an everready case. I paid $150 Canadian out the door for this set. Did I do well?

Bill
    "Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once and a while, you might just miss it."
    Ferris Bueller

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bill
    Good morning,
    Did I do well?
    Bill
    Assuming that it's in reasonable cosmetic and operational condition, and that the lenses are the correct, contemporary models, I'd say you did quite well. That's about $127 USD. I'd be happy to get that kit at a camera show for that sum.

Jonathan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jonathan,
    This camera and lenses look brand new for a 47 year old camea. I am watching an ebay auction with just the body and the lens and it is already at $120 CDn with two days to go. I did really well.

Bill
    "Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once and a while, you might just miss it."
    Ferris Bueller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    there's quite a demand for old iron, was window shopping some of the online camera stores today and nikkormat ftn's go for more than the newer cameras, same with pentax k1000s

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Funny, my camera tech said he found the demand for older steel was increasing due to dis-satisfaction with digital.

Bill
    Ferris Bueller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I agree, i shoot digital just for fun, like take pics of the grandkids hamming it up and download em to the computer so they can see them and change them around and stuff, I've went through 3 digitals in the last 2 yrs, yet my FTN and K1000 still keep clicking

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Pentex or other M42 bodies are some of the best values on the market, although the meters are giving out, the range of lens is very impressive, many next to nothing in terms of price. The 1958 pre spotmatics are somewhat collectable, sounds like you got a good deal. Super Takaumar lens are multicoated and stand up aginst Nikon, but for value look for German, Vivtar, and Spritone lens.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin