Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,568   Posts: 1,573,488   Online: 793

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Lenses: ummm... help

Hi everyone. I have a question about lenses. I have a manual camera and i know everything about it (almost)... but now i'm buying my husband a camera and i just have no clue about auto focus cameras. My husband has his eye on a canon autofocus camera (rebel something). Just a basic camera so he can learn from. but he wants to put a manual focus on it. Now of course all what i can find are autofocus lenses that say its for that specific camera. I guess what i'm getting at is: do all lenses that are marked to fit canon (despite the model) fit all canon cameras -- can i put a manual lense on the autofocus camera? or do lenses come in certain sizes for each model? I hope this made sense. thank you so much from your input. I'm learning so much since i joined this site. Everyone has been a great deal of help!

--Hanaa

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There are very few manual focus lenses made for the EOS mount, Tamron lenses are around in which you purchase the correct adaptall mount, and there are a couple of after market inexpensive telephoto lenses, but the rebal allows you to switch to manual focus mode and use the autofocus lens in manual focuse mode, there have been different canon mounts over the years, but the only ones that will fit the rebel are the EOS designated lenses, the FD and such even though a canon mount will not fit on the rebel, unless you find a adapter mount(expensive), then you will loose different features of the newer body, the Rebel models are actually pretty sophisticated cameras and have a lot of features available on them.

Dave

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Every one of my Canon lenses has a small switch to allow for manual focusing. As far as which lenses fit which cameras, any lens marked 'EOS' will fit the Rebel line of cameras as long as it is not made specificaly for the digital camera bodies (bears the 'EF-S' designation rather than just 'EF') unless they have changed it since I bought a new lens. Any reputable camera shop will be able to ensure that you get the proper lens for the camera body you choose.

Lenses now days are mostly zooms that cover from focal length A to focal length B, for example 80mm to 200mm. Most Canon bodies come with a standard range zoom lens which should be fine for your purposes. I would suggest something on the order of either 28mm-80mm or 80mm-200mm, either of which should be a standard option if you buy the kit (i.e. camera and lens combo). Hope this helps.

- Randy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This may seem silly, but if he wants to focus manually, why not by a nice used manual camera (Canon AE's, Minolta X's, Pentax K, etc.)??? Many of the later model manual cameras had plenty of exposure and metering features, but used manual focusing lenses...

Now, I'm cheap, so take this next part with a grain of salt. The autofocus Minolta and Sigma lenses that I've been buying and using for about 15 years or so, can't hold a candle to a couple of manual focus Rokkors that I picked up and use on my Minolta X700. It may be a zoom v prime issue, but the difference in sharpness can be seen in the viewfinder!

If, as you say, he's just starting out, being a little more slow and deliberate with a more manual camera may be just the thing. But if he wants to use it for grab shots at family get togethers and such, a quick to use auto focus may be more to his liking...

...just some thoughts...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I agree, the Minolta XD-11 was one of the best cameras ever made and the manual focus glass from that period is fantanstic and one of the un-sung bargins in the used market, I shot one for almost 20 years in my business and never once had a complaint about it, good camera, good glass and just a plain joy to use, if I remember right the XD-11 was also the basis for one of the Leica series of SLR's

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It is hard to make a good recommendation based on so little facts. I would look for a nice prime lens as this might be the closest thing to what he probably needs, but what is your budget? What is already in his bag and what are his favorite photographic subjects and does he aim at slides, CN or b+w and/or what is his favorite print-size? As a gift I'd consider something like a 1,8/85mm or a 1,4/50mm or the alike (something impressive and shiny ) but this may be far away from what he has in mind.

best

Stefan

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by joeyk49
    This may seem silly, but if he wants to focus manually, why not by a nice used manual camera (Canon AE's, Minolta X's, Pentax K, etc.)??? Many of the later model manual cameras had plenty of exposure and metering features, but used manual focusing lenses...
    There are even a few manual focus bodies available new. I've not studied the market extensively, particularly not in Canon mount, so I don't know how common these are, or if the big names (Canon, Minolta, Nikon, Pentax, etc.) still make them, or just the lesser or secondary brands (Vivitar, Phoenix, Zenit, etc.). Is your (hanaa's) husband set on Canon for some reason?

Shooter
    35mm
    Thank you everyone for your input.

in addition to my previous post: my husband wants to eventually do portrait photography using medium format. I would eventually like to upgrade into medium format myself. but first thing is first and that is learning the basics about photography. I use a minolta X-700, very good camera, and i don't work with anything other than manual. my husband wants an easy camera to learn from and eyed the canon. I don't know much about autofocus at all (and quite frankly, refuse too) but i'm looking at the newer canons and i can't figure out what my options are. My budget is $200. I havn't bought anything yet, i want to make sure it will work for what he wants and will want in the future. He wants to do portraits mainly and many little tidbits here and there. to start out anyway. we live in a rural area and there are no camera shops or any resourses to go to (other than the class at the community college) .

So, we're learning on our own, trying to figure everything out. I recently bought an elarger and planning putting together so sort of darkroom. (tired of having my pictures developed at wal-mart)

okay well thank you so much for your input. everyone has been a lot of help, i'm so glad i found this website!

Hanaa

Shooter
    35mm
    He's not "stuck" on canon. just happened to eye that one... plus it's a familiar name to him. but he'll take any brand-- he's just not sure what yet. it's new. and I've had the same camera for so long i'm new to it too.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd buy a nikon and have 40+ years worth of manual and auto focus lenses.

I also owned a Minolta and can atest to the quality of the camera and the glass (there are, i think, 3 different minolta lens mounts though)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin