Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,956   Posts: 1,522,868   Online: 1132

Shooter
    Multi Format

HELP!!!! My darling just died

I have a Ricoh XR-P that I use a lot due to it's interval timer. It was working and I removed the batteries to check another camera and now after replacing the batteries, it won't work. Tried cleaning contacts,no joy. It's getting juice, meter, and backlight work but shutter won't trip in auto or manual. Any ideas?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Did you try a fresh set of batteries? Something in the other camera may drained the originals.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good point john, the meter and backlight were working, but that may not be enough to trip the shutter, will get some at 1st opportunity, I have several in my fridge but they may also have deteriorated.....thanks, Tom

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bohica
    I have a Ricoh XR-P that I use a lot due to it's interval timer. It was working and I removed the batteries to check another camera and now after replacing the batteries, it won't work. Tried cleaning contacts,no joy. It's getting juice, meter, and backlight work but shutter won't trip in auto or manual. Any ideas?
    Check to make sure that it is wound all the way. Also, set the multiple exposure lever and try it again. It could be a problem with the shutter release, so try the left shutter release and see if it trips the shutter. I have the same camera and have shot it continuously since I bought it in 1986, but I have never seen this exact problem so I can only make guesses.

- Randy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I tried that w/o luck, think it may be just weak batteries, noticed with the backlight on that when i pressed the shutter release the light dimmed to just a faint flicker

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Okay, in the "Doh!" deparment, you're certain you've got the batteries all in the correct directions? No, the meter and backlight (sort of) working suggests otherwise, but they may not require as much voltage as the heavy duty operating parts.
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Camera now working correctly, I was gonna remove the lens and as I started to turn it the shutter tripped, tightened lens again,no work, started to remove and shutter tripped again, switched lens and camera worked fine, went back to original lens and camera worked fine, I'm baffled. Could I have gotten the aperture pin misaligned when I put on this lens, come to think about it, I put this lens on after I removed the batteries.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bohica
    Camera now working correctly, ....
    Well, I was just going to suggest that it is time to move up to LF.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin