Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,997   Posts: 1,524,306   Online: 817

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a couple of 1000 DTLs. They are built like a tank and have a good, solid heft to them. Lenses are very good and ther are tons of good screw mount lenses to pick from. The downside - I've yet to run across one of these with a working meter. No matter, I use a Minolta spot meter, anyway.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The spot metering area of the Mamiya DTL cameras is shown as a black square at the bottom edge of the viewfinder IIRC. I didn't find them as well built as the SRT101, Nikkormat, or FTb, and told people so when I was selling them. I had two friends in high school buy Mamiyas based solely on price, and both cameras were non-functional within 18 months. Don't mean to slam the whole line, and this could have been a bad run or bad luck, but 2 out of 2 gone that quickly doesn't speak well for the build quality. I also don't see them used and functioning at swaps, but then they were sold in fewer numbers.

Lee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm still using my 1000 DTL bought new about 30 years ago. I bought it for the spot meter function but that stopped working awhile back. Everything else is fine but the camera really hasn't seen much use in recent years as I've gone to large and medium format. Lot's of good lenses out there but changing them is sort of a pain compared to newer systems. Stop down match needle metering. Not a bad camera but take away the spot meter and there's not much to recommend it over other 35's of the era.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee L
    The spot metering area of the Mamiya DTL cameras is shown as a black square at the bottom edge of the viewfinder IIRC. I didn't find them as well built as the SRT101,
    I own two SRT's but worry about the meter being coupled internally to the lens with a bit of string.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    At this point many of the camera made in the 70s to 80s are starting to show wear, from what I have experienced (Nikon FG, Chinion CM4, Vivitar XC3, and Spotmatics) it is the internal meter that fails. Models with electronic shutters are dead in the water and cannot be repaired due to shortage in parts. A local repair person claims that he can get circuit boards for the FG from Korea. Because I have a large selection of Pentax M42 lens I plan on keeping my Spotmatics and Chinions going for as long as I can, if a clean Mamiya comes along I would pick it up.

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    [QUOTE=Paul Howell]Models with electronic shutters are dead in the water and cannot be repaired due to shortage in parts. [QUOTE]

With respect, that's not necessarily the case. Faults on cameras of this era are not confined to the sudden death of obscure and obsolete electronic components, but more often seem to be related to perfectly good electronics trying to control mechanical parts that are in need of attention or a good clean. I've recently had two seventies electronic Pentaxes sorted (ESII and K2), the first needed the shutter mechanism cleaning and the second a bad soldered joint re-making. I wonder how many cameras have been scrapped because of similar basic faults and repair men being put off by the word "electronic"?

Best wishes,
    Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good points, I guess many of us just find a new (second hand) body rather than have the nonfucntional body looked at. I have a Chinion CM 4 which I had modified to shorten the shutter release, pressing the shutter 1/2 way stops down the lens and activates the meter, the meter is not working, but I think its the pressure switch not the board, the battery diod still lights. I am just too lazy to take across town to a repair person who will be able to look at it.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Gees, all you folks with 1000 DTL's... I only have a 1000 TL, bought brand new and still works (although I haven't used it in years). What a great camera!

And a note on electronic shutters... I am hopefully, very soon, getting back my Minolta XK from Kelly's Camera Repair, after they have fixed the electronic shutter...

Shooter
    35mm
    The main problem with the DTL 1000 was that the meter used a tiny chain to move the adjustable parts (inside the camera). If this ever breaks, it is not easy to repair. However, aside from that, they were fine cameras. If you need to replace the old light seals, I have written specific instructions for that camera (it has a more complex seal architecture than many similar 35mm cameras), and I'll gladly send them to you via e:mail in a pdf file. I also have a light seal kit that will give you all the material you need to completely re-seal it for $6 (free shipping in the USA and no more than 80 cents to any other country). Please e:mail me at Jon_Goodman@yahoo.com if you need this file or info on the kit. I think you'll enjoy that camera.
    Jon

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi, Gerald. The string connected meter in the SRT is actually a pretty long-lasting design. If your second shutter curtain ever gets "lazy" (which will cause your mirror to hang up at slow speeds), please let me know. I have written two annotated jpeg files which show where to put the single dot of oil to remedy this. I also have written a file showing how to replace the light seals in the SRT series, and will gladly send that to anyone who wants it. Nice cameras. I still use my SRT Super frequently. By the way, Zenit used a piece of string to pull the mirror up and out of the way in their first SLR models, and it is still working in most of the ones I've seen...think it was wound of yak hair, though.
    Jon

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin