Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,501   Posts: 1,543,354   Online: 851

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by luvmydogs
    Paul, Apug can be a dangerous place. Like you, I am not in the market for another 35mm SLR, but like you, I also found myself surfing for used OMs after the thread I read here. I must resist. I must resist. I must resist.
    Go on, be a devil :-) I have been using OMs since the 1970s and they are just wonderful bits of design. They are light (I often have to carry three), but very reliable and robust (I have never had one fail, despite using them a lot in mud and rain). The meters are wonderful and I just love having the shutter speed control on the lens throat so you can change without taking the camera away from your eye. The glass is great and, for the left eyed amongst us, the fact that they don't use the film winder as the on/off switch like a Nikon is perfect.

David.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gnashings
    They seem to have all the making of a product that people just cant get enough of once they try it! These evil, horrible threads got me reading up about them... and remembering that every time I see one I wonder how a camera that small can be that capable... and then there are the quirks...like the rangefinder-like shutter dial around the base of the lens... then there is the viewfinder... then there is the superb meter capability...

OK - enough! No more! I dont need one. Someone tell me they're horrible!

Anyway, thats the little things that get me (an outsider) thinking about it...

Peter.
    Ok, you don't want an OM-1 because they are smaller than some rangefinders, they don't use german glass, instead they use something called Zuiko lenses which are too sharp and contrasty for many and too reliable. They also have something called mirror lock-up which I have used on night shoots (see attached) but which you probably won't want... and the camera is all mechanical with a battery only required for the meter...

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Woolliscroft
    ... The glass is great and, for the left eyed amongst us, the fact that they don't use the film winder as the on/off switch like a Nikon is perfect.

David.
    David, interesting. I'm a left-eyed shooter and do find that the film advance lever jabs in my right eye or eyebrow area when I use it. Are you saying that this won't be the case with the OMs?
    Macy
    Just trying to be the person my dogs think I am.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The OM winders only stick out 3-4mm from the top plate and I don't find they hit my head. The main problem for me was Nikons of the same era which used the winder as the on/off switch (for all I know the FM3 may still do). You had to pull it out quite a way to turn the meter on, so every time I tried to use one It hit me in the face and turned the camera off again. The OM 1 & 2 have an on off switch on the top plate and the 4s use half pressure on the shutter, either of which is much better for the left eyed. Give one a go and see if it suits you.

David.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I have three OM1n's and two OM2n's had them since the late 70's. They are still going strong. My favorite by far is the OM1n by far. Light and very "sturdy". One of my OM's has a ding on the left hand side of the top plate. Couple of yobs tried to physically liberate my cameras from me; I was carrying one by the strap and swung the camera at him - beaned him, the pair of them took off regally cussing at me - but I still had my cameras. I have to admit that was a hairy moment.....and the camera still works to this day

Mike

Mike

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Why not get an OM-10 they are a cheap way to get one, you wont break the bank. I'm left eyed is that rare>?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ajuk
    I'm left eyed is that rare>?

Me too, right handed and left eyed

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ajuk
    Why not get an OM-10 they are a cheap way to get one, you wont break the bank. I'm left eyed is that rare>?
    Personally I would go for the OM1 for the difference in price. To me the auto exposure of the OM10 is not nearly as valuable as the ruggedness of the OM1. Plus the OM10 won't let you use manual shutter speed controls unless you have the little adapter piece which fits on the front. If you have to pay extra for that, you might not save any money compared to the OM1. Actually, they are almost the same price at KEH.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy K
    Ok, you don't want an OM-1 because they are smaller than some rangefinders, they don't use german glass, instead they use something called Zuiko lenses which are too sharp and contrasty for many and too reliable. They also have something called mirror lock-up which I have used on night shoots (see attached) but which you probably won't want... and the camera is all mechanical with a battery only required for the meter...
    Andy - first off - very nice, moody night shots! I like them quite a lot (for what its worth).

Secondly - you devil!!! But thanks for the attempt ... at reverse psychology that is!!! Hehehehehe....

Thirdly (is tha even a word?) - The only German glass I own is attached to my Volkswagen - and even that I can't really afford...

And yes - MLU is wonderful, one of the reasons I bought the hidden gem among the Canon FD bodies - the EF - was the MLU. And the 30 second shutter speed built in (can you guess who else does a lot of night time shooting?)

But no - for now I am saving for a new MF SLR and maybe getting a Yashica TLR on the way. I love 35mm - but am fairly well off in the equpment dept there - so I am forcing myself to remain true to the cause I have set for myself. Yes. That's it! My mind's made up! (closes his eyes not to look at the OM pros any more and backs out of thread...)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeK
    I have three OM1n's and two OM2n's had them since the late 70's. They are still going strong. My favorite by far is the OM1n by far. Light and very "sturdy". One of my OM's has a ding on the left hand side of the top plate. Couple of yobs tried to physically liberate my cameras from me; I was carrying one by the strap and swung the camera at him - beaned him, the pair of them took off regally cussing at me - but I still had my cameras. I have to admit that was a hairy moment.....and the camera still works to this day

Mike

Mike
    My old boss when I was first working at a University used to have a huge kite to take low level air photos. You got the thing flying then winched a camera in a cradle up to it and it had a power winder with radio control to take the pictures. I once saw the cradle become detached with an OM20 on board. It fell over 100' onto dry grassland. It smashed the winder, broke the skylight filter on the lens, but the camera itself was in full working order. Nikon users used to tell me that OMs were fragile. Yeh right!

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin