Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,279   Posts: 1,534,852   Online: 731

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    I'd put in an endorsement for the OM-10 also. I think the metering was somewhat improved, and they are going to cost you less. Plus...the databack on the black model is not obsolete. (some of the earlier databacks lost most of their value on 1/1/00)
    Jon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Lets see, I have:
    1 OM1MD
    1 OM1n
    2 OMGs (same as OM20)
    1 OM2S
    1 OM2n

My original OM1 (not MD) I bought new in 1974. I no longer own it (I vaguely recall trading it in on the OM2S). I have 7 ZUIKO lenses, and one Tokina zoom, which came with a body I wanted.

Yep, I am addicted.

The only downside to the OM1s, is that they were designed for a mercury battery - I have purchased one of the adapters for each, so silver oxide cells work.

Regarding the OM10 - look instead for an OMG (OM20). They are newer then most of the OM10s and have the manual shutter speed built in, but share the same lighter body and very reasonable (used) cost. They aren't as rugged as the OM1, and you lose the MLU, interchangeable screens and some of the system camera attributes.

With the exception of some very early Olympus cameras (not in the OM system) and a short-lived and remarkably unsuccessful foray into autofocus (the OM77 and OM88) ALL OM series lenses fit all the OM bodies, and work equally well.

The flashes are good too - I have 1 T32, and two T20s.

Yep, I truly am addicted.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing
    Lets see, I have:
    Yep, I truly am addicted.

Me too:

1 OM1n
    2 OM2n
    1 OM10
    2 OM4 (one of them Ti).

David.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Woolliscroft
    Me too:

1 OM1n
    2 OM2n
    1 OM10
    2 OM4 (one of them Ti).

David.

You guys are not even getting started.

At least one each (black, of course) of all the single digit OMs except the OM 3 Ti. Although I cut back a bit, there are still 25 or so lenses for my OMs.

Another reason to own the OM system is that you can use these lenses with the Olympus e-1/evolt cameras when you cross over to the dark side (digital). Be warned that the Canon full frame digital bunch has discovered they can use these Zuiko lenses with their cameras and some of the OM Zuiko glass has escalated a quite a bit. This is particularly true of the 24mm and 35mm shift lenses, as well as, some of the super wides like the 16mm, 18mm and 21mm. The OM system also has some of the best macro gear going.

No, I don't have a problem. I just need half of the other closet . . . yes, I know I have an entire closet for my photo stuff. Well, it will only be temporary as I'm fixing to sell some of it on ebay. It really does need to not be sitting around like this. No, there isn't room in my closet. You need to learn to share better. Please . . .

Bill Barber

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The only downside to the OM1s, is that they were
    designed for a mercury battery - I have purchased
    one of the adapters for each, so silver oxide
    cells work.
    Now that's something I could use, that adapter. I'm
    not very sold on zinc-air. Just where do I send the
    money?

Have they a two cell version? I've a Sekonic
    L-228 also in need. Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format

Canon EF Long Exposures

Quote Originally Posted by gnashings
    Andy - first off - very nice, moody night shots! I like them quite a lot (for what its worth).

Secondly - you devil!!! But thanks for the attempt ... at reverse psychology that is!!! Hehehehehe....

Thirdly (is tha even a word?) - The only German glass I own is attached to my Volkswagen - and even that I can't really afford...

And yes - MLU is wonderful, one of the reasons I bought the hidden gem among the Canon FD bodies - the EF - was the MLU. And the 30 second shutter speed built in (can you guess who else does a lot of night time shooting?)

But no - for now I am saving for a new MF SLR and maybe getting a Yashica TLR on the way. I love 35mm - but am fairly well off in the equpment dept there - so I am forcing myself to remain true to the cause I have set for myself. Yes. That's it! My mind's made up! (closes his eyes not to look at the OM pros any more and backs out of thread...)

If you are doing many long exposures on your Canon EF Gnashings remember to carry a spare battery, because Like the Canon A1 I use, the shutter uses an electro- magnate powered by the battery to hold the shutter open, so with long exposures up to 30seconds, or time exposures on B uses a lot of battery power considering most normal shots are taken at 1/125, 1/250, 1/500. I used to do a lot of night photography with my A1 and found that a couple of time exposures of a minuet or more the battery was flat, which was why I bought an FTb that has a mechanical shutter. I don't know if modern electronic shutters are still like this, but the EF is a very fine camera, built like a brick s**t house I'm sure it will give you some great reults.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'll second that Bentley. Those night shots I posted were three and a half minute exposures at f/16 using Delta 100. I usually use HP5 for long exposure night shots, but this was high summer and I only had the Delta with me.
    Thats why I love the OM-1, the battery only powers the meter, everything else is mechanical, so even if the battery dies I still have a perfectly functional camera.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The only downside to the OM1s, is that they were designed for a mercury battery - I have purchased one of the adapters for each, so silver oxide cells work.
    This really is not the problem people think it is. Just put in modern 1.5v batteries and set the exposure bias or film speed control to over expose by two thirds of a stop. End of problem.

David.

Shooter
    Multi Format

The problem is

Quote Originally Posted by Woolliscroft
    This really is not the problem people think it is. Just put in modern 1.5v batteries and set the exposure bias or film speed control to over expose by two thirds of a stop. End of problem.

David.
    That could work to some degree David, the problem I understand is that the Canon EF is powered by two 1.35 volt Mercury Oxide PX 625 batteries , 1.5 volt silver oxide ones don't produce the power in the same way, looking at a graph comparing the power output responses they are very different,and would probably produce inconsistent exposures, I researched this recently when the battery of my Canon FTb Packed up. I found the best alternative is to use the PX 625 Zinc Air Wein Cells they don't last as long as the old Mercury Cells, but I have been using them for several months and they seem O.K

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The OMs also use two cells. I agree the response curve is not quite straight using 1.5v batteries, but I calibrated my cameras against a modern light meter and it was as close as makes no material difference. Certainly I can use transparency film in total confidence. I guess, though, you should use what you are happy with.

David.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin