Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,997   Posts: 1,524,300   Online: 837

Page 1 of 9 1234567 ... LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

While we're on the subject of OMs

I don't want to hijack reinis' thread.

I'm curious why the OM-4Ts are so expensive. I saw a "minty" one going for $825. Is that how much minty OM-4Ts go for these days?
    Macy
    Just trying to be the person my dogs think I am.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by luvmydogs

I'm curious why the OM-4Ts are so expensive. I saw a "minty" one going for $825. Is that how much minty OM-4Ts go for these days?
    I just so happened to be looking at OMs on KEH yesterday, probably as a result of the same thread you are referring to. They have an OM4-T in Excellent (roughly minty in eBay parlance) for $499. Still a lot of money, but not like your example above. I know that the T was the last of the OMs and was made until fairly recently. I also understand that it is very nice, but I can't answer why it is so much more than the base OM4, unless the price of the OM4 is depressed by the (perceived or real?) battery consumption problem that you hear about. If I were in the market, which I am not, I would probably get the Bargain condition OM4 on KEH for $172. They also offer it with a lens for under $200.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Olympus OM4 Ti

They have always been expensive Macy on the Ti model the body is made from Titanium, a metal that is about about half the weight of steel,it won't rust, and is very durable but costs about the same price as silver.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Paul, Apug can be a dangerous place. Like you, I am not in the market for another 35mm SLR, but like you, I also found myself surfing for used OMs after the thread I read here. I must resist. I must resist. I must resist.
    Macy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Again... glad I am not the only one... I need another 35mm SLR (especially in a system I dont have lenses for!) like I need a hole in the head...
    But guess who was surfing eBay...

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    gnashings - you too huh?

What I am trying to understand is why the Olympus OMs have sort of this "cult" status. What is it about these cameras??
    Macy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    gnashings - you too huh?

What I am trying to understand is why the Olympus OMs have sort of this "cult" status. What is it about these cameras??
    I had an OM1 and loved it. I ended up trading it, I got great value for the trade and I am happy I did it, but boy I miss that camera. One thing is that they are designed really well. Everything is easy to use and works the way it should. (There are, however, some very unconventional things about them that do take getting used to.) Also, the lenses are really nice and, unlike other manufacturers, they are very small to fit the scale of the camera. I had a 135 3.5 that was tiny, it was about 3" long and 1.5" across. Also, there is an incredible simplicity about the design, no extraneous do dads or whatchamacallits. Just gorgeous.

If I get back in the 35mm market, I will seriously consider the OMs. For now, I am shooting medium and large format and not missing 35mm. If I had an OM4 I wouldn't use it anyway! Of course, that doesn't mean I don't want one!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have an OM-1 and love it. In terms of size I don't believe a more compact 35mm SLR was made. Fit and finish is excellent and the Zuiko lenses are generally accepted to be outstanding. Another nice feature about the OM-1's is that they have the MLU feature which I don't think any of the other OM's have.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The OM4Ti is made largely of titanium and the stuff is just very expensive. The OM4 is not, so it's cheaper.

David

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    gnashings - you too huh?

They seem to have all the making of a product that people just cant get enough of once they try it! These evil, horrible threads got me reading up about them... and remembering that every time I see one I wonder how a camera that small can be that capable... and then there are the quirks...like the rangefinder-like shutter dial around the base of the lens... then there is the viewfinder... then there is the superb meter capability...

OK - enough! No more! I dont need one. Someone tell me they're horrible!

Anyway, thats the little things that get me (an outsider) thinking about it...

Peter.

Page 1 of 9 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin