Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,577   Posts: 1,545,719   Online: 787

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Ara, put it on a chain for your girlfreind to wear around her neck as a reminder not to be such a klutz.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Maybe if I was the one who dropped it, that would help. I think my roomate dropped it but felt too bad to tell me.

Oh well.

-Lisa

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Before disassembly, you might take a moment to think if the lens would make a useful subject in any way. You might find some artistic merit in using it in a few images.

But, yes, definately take the opportunity to learn something about how lenses are made...taking things apart is how I (and I suspect, many others) learned to fix them. The very worst thing you'll end up with is a completely disassembled lens with some broken parts. You might find that one or two of the elements are useful for making a magnifier...something you could use as a loupe for examining negatives. (A reversed 50mm lens of any variety is useful for this, but not when the elements are misaligned.)

This is definately more of an opportunity than a problem.
    Film is cheap. Opportunities are priceless.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yep! Use it as a loupe on your lightbox!
    Norman is an island.Time and tide wait for Norman.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Monophoto
    They were optically quite good (the 100mm f2.8 series E was a fabulous portrait lens that also was very good with extension tubes in macro applications), but mecahnically they were not in the same class as Nikkors.
    I have to second that. I really like my 100mm f2.8. The 75-150 zoom is very nice too, but I find that I prefer the size of the 100mm.

I was always told about the poor build quality of the Series E lenses. Compared to a metal 105mm Nikkor, they feel like toys, but compared with some of the stuff out today, they are not really that bad.

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ara Ghajanian
    Hey gang,
    My girlfriend dropped her Nikon FM, but luckily it was in a soft case and it landed on the lens instead of the camera. The lens is an E series 50mm f1.8. The front of the lens has been pushed in on an angle due to the impact and the focus ring won't turn anymore. It's a nice lens, but my camera repair guy told me to not even bother having it repaired. I ended up getting her another one on eBay for about $40. Now I have this damaged lens (which is mint other than the obvious problem) sitting on my kitchen table begging to be shot with. I'm thinking of taking it apart and trying to fix it myself. I'm sure it won't be a perfect fix so I'm wondering if I can turn it into a special effects lens somehow. Does anyone have any ideas?
    Ara
    I started a recent thread about what to do with a dead DSLR and lens. It seems a waste to have these things not be used, but at some point you have to admit that it is gone.

I did see a good image once on Photo.net. A guy put an arrow through a canon lens. Turned out the lens had been dropped anyway, so he made it into a subject.

If you have any kids around, take the lens apart, give the positive (magnifying) lenses to them to burn leave, ants, all the things kids do.

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sounds like it's just stuck beyond infinity. In any case you'll probably need to remove (or flip?) some elements before you'll get much brownie/lensbaby action. At level worst, you can use the rear housing as a base for a hand-held tilt/shift contraption. What good is a camera bag without a hacksaw?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Good use!
    It also works for viewing negs/slides in a light table

Quote Originally Posted by jimgalli
    Nikon 50mm 1.8 E's were never meant to actually take pictures with. Best use is to turn it around backwards and make a focus loupe out of it for the view camera ground glass. It should work good as ever for that.
    Mama took my APX away.....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by get_me_a_gun
    Maybe if I was the one who dropped it, that would help. I think my roomate dropped it but felt too bad to tell me.

Oh well.

-Lisa
    Hey Lisa,
    I thought you said you dropped it.

Everyone,
    This is the girlfriend. She's been successfully converted from digital to film. She's presently studying photography in college. She also uses Rodinal. Am I lucky or what? Say hello and welcome her to APUG.
    Ara
    Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome to APUG Lisa!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin