Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,948   Posts: 1,557,852   Online: 800

Shooter
    Multi Format

Praktica Super TL

Another Rescue Mission

This beauty from the GDR was headed for the knackers yard. Jena aperture blades seized,film advance leaver wouldn,t return,the meter was dead and the body had suffered years of neglect.
    I fixed the lens and return leaver.All the body needed was a good cleaning (windex & Q-Tips). Got the meter fired up but,man,its way outta wack. My question is this: I have heard of "stoped down metering".Can I use the depth of field button to establish the proper exposure? If not can anyone suggest how to fool the meter? (it seems to be off by about 3-4 stops).

Mike

nyx

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    what about setting different iso, so it will compensate?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As far as I remember Mike, pressing the big black button on the right below the angled shutter release should activate the meter and stop the lens down.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Mike,
    If you mean the Super TL 1000, this was my first SLR. see http://www.praktica-users.com/cams/l/supertl1000.html for a manual.

You actually depress the depth of field preview button (big rectangular black one just next to the shutter release) to enable the meter.

This camera served me well, the only complaint I had about it is that the viewfinder's image was rather dim even when you weren't stopping down to meter the scene.

regards
    Peter

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kennedy
    Another Rescue Mission

This beauty from the GDR was headed for the knackers yard. Jena aperture blades seized,film advance leaver wouldn,t return,the meter was dead and the body had suffered years of neglect.
    I fixed the lens and return leaver.All the body needed was a good cleaning (windex & Q-Tips). Got the meter fired up but,man,its way outta wack. My question is this: I have heard of "stoped down metering".Can I use the depth of field button to establish the proper exposure? If not can anyone suggest how to fool the meter? (it seems to be off by about 3-4 stops).

Mike

Mike,

Have you had a look on this forum?
    http://www.kyphoto.com/classics/forum/
    Perhaps the meter can be adjusted. 3 - 4 stops might seem a lot, but I just tweaked a Pentax Spotmatic meter to accommodate a silver oxide battery and the range of adjustment on the potentiometer was huge. I may be wrong, but I had an old Super TL (not the later "1000" version) a long time ago. Didn't they take a PX625 cell? If so, perhaps the cell now in there is an EPX625, which has a higher voltage. There was quite a bit of correspondence on APUG a few months back regarding meter circuits, battery voltages, etc..
    Good luck!

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kennedy
    Another Rescue Mission

Mike
    Far as I know those Practikas can ONLY meter stopped down which is why you may think the meter crazy
    Mark
    Mark Layne
    Nova Scotia
    and Barbados

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin