Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,870   Posts: 1,583,303   Online: 1136

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    From what I can gather digital is only replacing film in the compact and amateur gadget-oriented markets and some pro markets like paparazzi and stock. That rumour sounds like more of the same digital hype.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

F85

Any Vinyl Comparisons here (links to old 80's Articals ETC)?

I heard a rumour the F80 and F100 Are to be discontinued next year and replaced with 1 new camera called the F85.

Why F85? well most people who still do want a film SLR are getting second hand, so making somthing new availible that would rare to find second hand would make sence, some Darkroom enthusiasts will still want the lastest technology in there fim cameras ETC.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Since used equipment is a fantastic bargain, I don't think it really matters. I guess if I had my equpment stolen, I'd like there to be new F100s and such to replace my high-end cameras, but the reality is that used cameras are where it is at if you want to shoot film. People are nearly giving the stuff away.

laz
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoJim
    but the reality is that used cameras are where it is at if you want to shoot film. People are nearly giving the stuff away.
    I'm sure I've said this before but seeing stuff I only dreamed of owning 20 years ago going on ebay for peanuts is like being a kid in a candy shop (wait did I say 20 years ago, more like 30!)

I can remember like it was yesterday the day the 28mm/2.8 Nikkor I saved my pennies for arrived. It cost me $201 from a mail order place in Skokie Ill.
    This was a kings ransom for a guy in the military making $368 a month!

Even though I rarely shoot 35mm it is very dangerous for me to look at Nikon auctions!
    -Bob
    [SIZE=1]I want everything Galli has![/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]I want to make images like Gandolfi![/SIZE]
    rlazell@optonline.net

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Since the Nikon F6 will be their last ever film camera, and has just come out, are you sure he isn't just trying to sell you an F5 ?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bentley Boyd
    Since the Nikon F6 will be their last ever film camera, and has just come out, are you sure he isn't just trying to sell you an F5 ?
    Bently?

Where did you hear the F6 will be the last film camera? I was just talking to the Nikon Rep last weeks at the local Pro shop, and he was telling us they are still doing RD on a couple of new models of film cameras(SLR) and other P&S film cameras?

So just curious.

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format

Last Pro SLR

Quote Originally Posted by Satinsnow
    Bently?

Where did you hear the F6 will be the last film camera? I was just talking to the Nikon Rep last weeks at the local Pro shop, and he was telling us they are still doing RD on a couple of new models of film cameras(SLR) and other P&S film cameras?

So just curious.

Dave
    In A review of the F6 in the August issue of Professional Photographer ( I have just reread the article Dave it actualy says probably Nikons last Pro SLR) "It could become something of a landmark there is every chance it will go down as the last ever pro spec 35mm SLR to appear- a sobering thought for film lovers. It is hard to see an F7 because the whole area of professional Photography has changed so radically recently ". I have also read in other mags, British Journal Of Photography, Amateur Photographer things that would very strongly give that impression.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think this is just another case of nearsighted self serving behaviour from a retailer. I get this all the time - even with things the stores have in stock, they look at me as an unwanted pest because I cling to film. I hear a horror story every time I walk in, and its usually delivered with a smirk.
    Just two days ago, my local Henry's store clerk informed me that they havve very little film becuae manufacturers are "not shipping it" - and made that face like she was about to call security...
    Screw her - I told her that I like to support my local stores before they all go away, but with their attitude, I dont see the point.
    This Nikon story seems like more of the same, that smirking little attitude that says: "So, what are you going to do now, huh?".

laz
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bentley Boyd
    ....A review of the F6 in the August issue of Professional Photographer "It could become something of a landmark there is every chance it will go down as the last ever pro spec 35mm SLR to appear- a sobering thought for film lovers. It is hard to see an F7 because the whole area of professional Photography has changed so radically recently ". I have also read in other mags, British Journal Of Photography, Amateur Photographer things that would very strongly give that impression.
    This journalist is trying to make his review more than just that. The writer's speculation is as good as yours or mine. It is the easiest thing in the world of photography today to "predict" the end of film forever.
    [SIZE=1]I want everything Galli has![/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]I want to make images like Gandolfi![/SIZE]
    rlazell@optonline.net

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I rang Nikon UK customer services this afternoon this to try and clarify the situation and asked them what their plans are regarding them continuing making film cameras, and I couldn't get a straight answer, all the guy would say was they had had no information from Japan. I sincerely hope this isn't the case Laz, I don't have an axe to grind, I have been shooting film for more than fifty years, and don't own any digital gear not even a scanner. I agree as you point out there is a large element of speculation in that particular quote, but I have seen it reported as fact in some of the recent photographic magazines.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin