Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,497   Posts: 1,543,086   Online: 993

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bentley Boyd
    I rang Nikon UK customer services this afternoon this to try and clarify the situation and asked them what their plans are regarding them continuing making film cameras, and I couldn't get a straight answer, all the guy would say was they had had no information from Japan. I sincerely hope this isn't the case Laz, I don't have an axe to grind, I have been shooting film for more than fifty years, and don't own any digital gear not even a scanner. I agree as you point out there is a large element of speculation in that particular quote, but I have seen it reported as fact in some of the recent photographic magazines.
    Bently,

I don't ever take anything published in the press as fact, they can publish it as fact, but I can almost guarantee you 100% that it is not fact, but pure speculation, as is the way of the world with most published words in the world now a days..

Dave

laz
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Bentley,
    Don't take what I said the wrong way. All I'm saying is that we just don't know the answer and neither do the journalists or even the sales reps!

Unless we're sitting in the corporate board room while these sorts of decisions are being made we just won't know.

The only thing you can be certain about is that nothing is certain!

-bob
    [SIZE=1]I want everything Galli has![/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]I want to make images like Gandolfi![/SIZE]
    rlazell@optonline.net

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Not Nikon but... I just bought a 2nd hand EOS3, the reason why I had to go 2nd hand (aside from getting a great deal!) was that when question, Canon NZ said they had no EOS3's in stock and didn't plan on getting any.... then another store clerk said the EOS3 has been discontinued ...

Shooter
    35mm

Nikon products in Japan

It seems that there's less and less of a chance for any camera stores to sell any high-end film equipment. For cameras, I've seen a bunch of Nikon F5s, F4s, and even F/N90s being sold at real low prices, I mean, low. And they don't come with any good warranties any more.

It just reminds me of the time in the late 80's and the early 90's when used Japanese cars(not that old and still in good condition) were starting to get shipped out to the regional countries like former Soviet Union/Russia and being sold real cheap like 500 U.S. dollars per car. It was quite a shocking story within the Japanese society because they were alway switching to brand new cars but didn't know where their old Totoyas and hondas ended up. And they never thought their old cars being sold at that price range. Even refrigerators and VCRs would cost more to buy.

Anyway, I posted a thread about EL Nikkor 63mm that's being discontinued in Japan, which is also definitely a sign of Nikon getting out of the film business.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by firecracker

Anyway, I posted a thread about EL Nikkor 63mm that's being discontinued in Japan, which is also definitely a sign of Nikon getting out of the film business.
    Discontinued and getting out of the business is two entirely different things, camera companies discontinue things all the time, even good things, does not mean their getting out of the film business and anyone posting this type of information is doing so on pure speculation..

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by detune
    Not Nikon but... I just bought a 2nd hand EOS3, the reason why I had to go 2nd hand (aside from getting a great deal!) was that when question, Canon NZ said they had no EOS3's in stock and didn't plan on getting any.... then another store clerk said the EOS3 has been discontinued ...
    Canon is still listing the EOS 3 as a current model in production on their website, and acourding to the store I used to work at, there has not been any mention of the EOS 3 being discontinued by Canon as of yet..

http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/con...8&modelid=7246

Dave

Shooter
    35mm

discontinued and getting out of...

Quote Originally Posted by Satinsnow
    Discontinued and getting out of the business is two entirely different things, camera companies discontinue things all the time, even good things, does not mean their getting out of the film business and anyone posting this type of information is doing so on pure speculation..

Dave
    Maybe I didn't explain enough, but I thought you could see what I meant from the context. "Getting out" I meant, the company does less business with you, and so do the dealers including used camera stores selling the film products than they used to. It's not speculation but observation, and that may affect all of us analog users in the near future.

I'm not intending to make any statement here, but certainly pointing out what's been happening in the scene from a consumer/user's point of view.

And about the discontinued lens I mentioned before, it's not the direct information but through the authorized dealers. On the Nikon website(Japanese), I didn't see it. Either way, if these dealers were simply trying to sell me something else by saying what they said, then that's a problem also. And that is not going to help Nikon anyway.

Regardless, certain products live on without much aftercare and support, but I guess that's what we're talking about here.

Shooter
    35mm
    Regardless, certain products live on without much aftercare and support, but I guess that's what we're talking about here.
    Sorry I meant "that's NOT what we're talking about here."

By the way I don't call what's happening to Nikon, "demise" but it's rather a path just like any other. All I wanted to do here is to place product information.

Meanwhile I just called Nikon (Japan) customer support, and the representative said that the production of the 63mm lens had ended last month and there's no stock there, but that wouldn't necessarily appear on its website, which I personally don't know why because there are notices on other discontinued products. He said 50mm, 75mm, and other current types in the current lineup are and will still be available.

I didn't ask about the future of F6, sorry.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sorry I meant "that's NOT what we're talking about here."

By the way I don't call what's happening to Nikon, "demise" but it's rather a path just like any other. All I wanted to do here is to place product information.

Meanwhile I just called Nikon (Japan) customer support, and the representative said that the production of the 63mm lens had ended last month and there's no stock there, but that wouldn't necessarily appear on its website, which I personally don't know why because there are notices on other discontinued products. He said 50mm, 75mm, and other current types in the current lineup are and will still be available.

I didn't ask about the future of F6, sorry.
    I am not all that worried about it, after being in the photography business for over 20 years now, as well as being a large manufacture in the LF business, I still know that even reports from people that work for the company can sometimes be wrong..

I do believe that all of the large companies are pursueing the digital path a lot stronger than they are the film market, but there are still enough of us that make a living with a film camera, that they are not going to cut off their nose to spite their face, as far as listening to the guy behind the counter in the stores, I give them about as much credit as I do, when someone says the world is going to end tommorrow, I spent to many years working in the stores, and have seen it all to often.

Thanks for the information.

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Next time i talk to my nikon rep i'll ask him, though I doubt that its true. I mean i'm sure they still do with consumer cameras (n65, n75, n80) and they just came out with the F6, so I doubt they would so quickly discontinue it.

SIDEBAR:
    Just a cool story, when the F6 first came out as soon as my rep got his hands on one he let me borrow it for a weekend, it was a great camera, really liked it (but not a $2300 love) anyway the serial number was like #000015.
    --Ryan

"The negative is the equivalent of the composer's score, and the print the performance." ~Ansel Adams

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin