Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,291   Posts: 1,535,423   Online: 788

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by blumesan
    It's a simple fact of life that digital cameras, from P&S to Pro, both new and used are outselling film by at least 10 to 1. I have been shooting film (35mm) for 60 years and don't own a digital camera. I am also confident that, should any of my current equipment fail, I can replace it in the used market. That being said, and given my age, I don't have to worry about the market 30 years hence. What does worry me is the film market. What new developments in film have we seen in the last 15 years? What about the availability of a wide variety of film, especially at local retailers? And assuming you don't do your own developing, what about the future of the high quality labs?

Mike.
    I am not worried about it one bit, my local lab is committed to their film customers as well as their digital customers, as far as development in films, I have seen several new emulsions come to the market in the 20 years I have shot to make a living, so I am not worrried at all.

Dave

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blumesan
    What new developments in film have we seen in the last 15 years? What about the availability of a wide variety of film, especially at local retailers? And assuming you don't do your own developing, what about the future of the high quality labs?
    Actually, quite a lot. Fuji has updated all their films, in just the last 2 - 3 years, with a couple of new transparency films (Velvia 100F, 100). Kodak has a new version of Ektachrome (VS100) - I'm primarily a Fuji user so I am not aware of much Kodak does. Several new B&W films; like Efke and others. You probably won't be able to get them at the local corner camera store; at least not in the immediate future.

Same with pro labs. I highly recommend Calypso Imaging in Santa Clara - I use them for all my 4x5 tranparency processing.

You may have to work harder at finding the choices, but they are there. It it too easy to look at all the negative news, without realizing that the photography market is changing, so we have to change as well.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ann
    can expect , what?
    is there something left out from this sentence?
    Ann, I think he's being facetious.
    If I had been present at the creation, I would have given some useful hints for the better arrangement of the Universe.
    Alfonso the Wise, 1221-1284

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin