Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,959   Posts: 1,558,207   Online: 1165

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Light meter.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by LeonardT
    I've been using an original Lunasix for over 25 years. The only problem I ever had was finding replacement batteries when the original ones became obsolete. .

Good Luck
    I'm still using an original Lunasix that I bought 40 years ago. Gossen make an adaptor that converts it from Mallory PX13 mercury batteries to the modern silver ones.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Posts in this thread might be a little confusing. The Gossen meters can have different names depending on where you purchase them. A Gossen Luna Pro SBC could have been purchased under that name in the USA, and under the name Gossen Profisix in Canada and, I believe, in Europe.

I believe, but am really unsure, that a Luna Pro F is the same as a Profisix F.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by brent8927
    I used two analog light meters (sekonic and gossen) but I found that they weren't very accurate. I can safely say that this isn't the case for all analog meters, but I wanted to buy a new meter that I could trust so I bought a Sekonic ... something... can't remember the numbers, but it was digital and about $160;
    Whenever practical I prefer purely analog devices to digital, even to the extent of using a slide rule instead of an electronic calculator when slide rule accuracy is adequate. However, I don't think having a digital readout on a meter in any way compromises a pure approach to analog photography. I use a Sekonic L 308BII with my unmetered Leica rangefinders. Being farsighted, I use reading glasses for reading and the computer but not for photography. It is a strain to read some analog meters without glasses, but this digital Sekonic is not only extremely accurate but it's no problem making out the numbers in the readout.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One of the things not to go cheap on is a light meter. The second is optics. Inaccurate readings, short ranges, color insensitivity or over sensitivity, ease of use, reparability, repeatability, these are some of the problems with cheap used light meters. Sometimes it's better to follow the guide on the film box than to rely on a meter that is misleading you.

You will start changing the developing time, change films, change developers etc. while the meter is all over the place. Finally you will even "bracket" exposures to try and catch the correct exposure.

Get the best you can absolutely afford from the beginning and you'll be ahead of the game. In wood working there is a saying; "you can't do great work without great tools".

Regards,
    Curt

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RichSBV
    If I could have only one meter, it would be a Gossen Luna Pro F... Incident, reflective, spot, flash, ground glass... Does it all...
    Totally agree! I love my Lunasix F which I think is the same as the Luna Pro F. An added advantage is that it takes a standard 9V battery instead of the banned mercury cell of the older Lunasix's. One disadvantage is that it's quite large and bulky compared with the Westons and newer Sekonic meters.

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I currently use an old Gossen Luna Pro and a Sekonic and both are exellent. I would also recommend a Minolta if you're interested in an incident meter. I had a IIIF years ago that was as accurate as anything I've ever used and seemed to be indestructible as well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Have you considered that a light meter may not even be necessary?

What are you photographing?

What about the f16 rule?? That has worked for years and years. Have you tried it?\

Graham.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by stephen
    I'm still using an original Lunasix that I bought 40 years ago. Gossen make an adaptor that converts it from Mallory PX13 mercury batteries to the modern silver ones.
    I found a replacement called a Wein Cell MRB625 at B&H. It comes with a collar adapter as well. It's described as a Zinc/Air battery. I don't know if it will last as long as the PX13. I'll let you know in about 10 years.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by LeonardT
    I found a replacement called a Wein Cell MRB625 at B&H. It comes with a collar adapter as well. It's described as a Zinc/Air battery. I don't know if it will last as long as the PX13. I'll let you know in about 10 years.
    The Wein will not last nearly as long as the old mercury cell. Depending on local weather, it will last from a couple of months to a year or slightly longer.

Save the washer ring from around the Wein cell, it will slip off with some force. Then replace the Wein battery cell with a 675 zinc-air hearing aid battery, available at your pharmacist or local convenience store. The 675 will just slip into the Wein washer. The hearing aid cells are much cheaper than the Wein cell, probably 6 or more for the price of one Wein cell.

Lee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Lee L,

Why couldn't you just get an o-ring to fit around the hearing aid battery to center it in the battery compartment and use that instead of the remains of the old Wein Cell?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin