Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,892   Posts: 1,520,866   Online: 1164

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Light meter.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Light meter.

Looks like I have to invest in a light meter. Approx. 80% of my cameras are meterless (no big deal) but I now have a second person who wants to learn the magical world of B&W. Another dissatisfied customer from the pixel mob.
    Guess I should be looking for an incident meter. Can anyone suggest a good choice?
    Remember: Price IS AN OBJECT!!

Thanks,
    Mike

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Look for a used analog 1% Soligor Spot meter. Attach a Zone Scale to the barrel and you'll be good to go. They are selling for $70 to $100 (approximately) on ebb.
    If you want a new Pentax or Zone V1 Pentax spot meter, you can get on a waiting list for one from Calumet. The wait time is about 6 months. New prices are $430 and $579.
    "A certain amount of contempt for the material employed to express an idea is indispensable to the purest realization of this idea." Man Ray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mike:

Price is always an issue with me...

Keep your eyes on ebay. I picked up a Gossen Lunasix 3 (not the youngest of instruments) for about $20.00. Its easy to use and easy to read.

It's incident metering only and doesn't have d*g*tal readouts or lcd screens and it can't be used with an electron microscope (at least I don't think so...) but it works fine and is always in my camera bag.

If you're not in a hurry, you should be able to pick up a decent one for a song...or maybe a dance...

Shooter
    Large Format
    If I could have only one meter, it would be a Gossen Luna Pro F... Incident, reflective, spot, flash, ground glass... Does it all...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RichSBV
    If I could have only one meter, it would be a Gossen Luna Pro F... Incident, reflective, spot, flash, ground glass... Does it all...
    Either that or a Profisix.
    Norman is an island.Time and tide wait for Norman.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Light meters are really pretty easy to pick up on ebay Mike, and I would say most of the Gossens are great meters, I quite often see them go for $25 US or less...

Dave

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I used two analog light meters (sekonic and gossen) but I found that they weren't very accurate. I can safely say that this isn't the case for all analog meters, but I wanted to buy a new meter that I could trust so I bought a Sekonic ... something... can't remember the numbers, but it was digital and about $160; it was definetely worth it, I can't tell you how many times I've dropped it, gone through rain, abuse, etc, and it's still working great. What's nice about it is that the lens (or whatever you call it... light sensitive thingie...) is fixed, so it's much more stable than the meters with rotating heads. This also makes it worse for taking reflected light readings (the Gossen Luna meter is much better for that) but almost every reading I do is an incident reading, so it works super for me.

But if price is an issue, like everyone says, you can pick up a meter for less than $20 on ebay; just make sure that they're accurate!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Mike, my experience with used meters has been less thangood. Three of three have looked nice, functioned, and been in very rough agreement with my metered SLRs (three of 'em) at high noon. But in less than bright light, they've all been off.

The meter shops I've sent 'em to have found not so good problems with all three. Lunasix 2 to Empire. LunaPro (= Lunasix 3) to Bogen. And Master V to Quality Light Metric.

So my advice is to buy a meter that functions for as little as possible and budget for a trip to the shop.

Lunasixes, including the 3, offer incident and reflected metering. Weston Masters do reflected, require a diffuser (Invercone, in Weston-speak) to do incident. The first model of Invercone fits, IIRC, Master I, II, and III. The second model, IIRC, fits IV, V, and both Euromasters.

Another possibility the I remember fondly from the days of my youth when ... is the GR PR-3. Selenium cell like the Westons, has an incident adapter that's often been lost. But nice little meter.

Good luck, whatever you do don't look back,

Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've been using an original Lunasix for over 25 years. The only problem I ever had was finding replacement batteries when the original ones became obsolete. I guess I'm just lucky. I had a Weston Master V go bad after 2 years. Both were very accurate. I wish I had another Weston though, great little meter.

Good Luck

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have the Gosson Profi Six. I bought it new 20 years ago and have slowly but very cheaply, added the accessories to make it into a complete system meter.

I have the 1º 5º 10º spotmeter attachment. The attachment is a bit bulky, but at $25.00 worth it.

The darkroom attachment, which converts the meter into an enlarging exposure meter, $5.00 at a photo flea market, works exceptionally well!

The profi flex, fibre optic measuring attachment. This turns the meter into a ground glass TTL meter for large format, or measuring stuff in tiny holes, $15.00. (also turns the meter into a densitometer)

The Repro attachment, designed for measuring light falling onto a flat painting or art surface, for reproduction work, $5.00.

In all, there are ten accessory attachments that really make the meter work for all facets of photography.

One of the most popular accessories, is the 7.5º - 15º semi spot meter attachment. This is often traded for about $25.00.

Mick.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin