Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,267   Posts: 1,534,349   Online: 800

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I use a 3001 with a ball head for my 35mm/MF kits. and a 3021 with 3047 pan & tilt head for both MF and LF. Both work great but are no picnic to carry. Another suggestion for 35mm (no laughing, please), a Tiltall. It's cheap, but it's pretty sturdy and has a pan & tilt head. At the price, you can afford to lose it or replace it if you so desire.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a Bogen 3001 with their basic 3D head (don't remember the number) when weight is the critical factor. It's a good, basic tripod IF you don't extend it too high. But a 35mm camera (inherently light) on a light tripod can be troublesome at extreme focal lengths and/or very long exposures. Consider hanging some weight (even your camera bag) from the tripod.

I also have a Bogen 3035 for MF and LF if I don't have to carry it much.

But my favorite is my Tiltall. I find this the best compromise between weight and sturdiness. I wouldn't backpack with it, but it's not a bear to carry. I put foam around the legs when using in winter and have never removed it. Makes it easier when carrying over the shoulder.

Consider how you'll use the tripod. For example, if you can keep the camera low (I never raise the centerpost unless absolutely necessary) and avoid extending the legs, you can get by with a lighter tripod.

As to the shape of the legs, in an aluminum tripod the 3 shapes to consider (IMHO) are round, round, and round. In fact, I'm not aware of a quality metal tripod with other than round legs (though I certainly could be wrong).

laz
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm
    laz127, I must not have been clear. One of the huge shocks of my tripod shopping experience was that supposedly identical tripods weren't equally stable.
    Okay, I'm now also shocked. Were these decent brands? How did you compare them, doesn't B&H just have a single display for each model?

I eventually got an opportunity to try a Berlebach 8023.
    That's the one I settled on and I really like it for my LF. (I purchased it on-line )

-Bob
    [SIZE=1]I want everything Galli has![/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]I want to make images like Gandolfi![/SIZE]
    rlazell@optonline.net

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by laz
    Okay, I'm now also shocked. Were these decent brands? How did you compare them, doesn't B&H just have a single display for each model?

That's the one I settled on and I really like it for my LF. (I purchased it on-line )

-Bob
    Bob, my friend Shaun and his wife have a pair of Swarovski spotting scopes on apparently identical 3021Gs. New-style, with the flip locks. His is rock solid, hers is wobbly. Same vintage, too.

At B&H, I started with tripods whose prices I was willing to pay. Not one had enough torsional rigidity to use with a 700. Not one.

My wife saw this, saw my discomfort, and told me to try 'em all, regardless of price. So I did. Only two of the tripods in the store passed. One was a huge CF Gitzo priced at nearly $900. The other use a used small Zone VI whose legs insisted on splaying; not a problem on dirt, a bad problem on harder surfaces. She who must be obeyed told me to buy the Gitzo. I'm ashamed to report that I didn't obey her. Oh, yeah, B&H is a Berlebach dealer but when we were there no Berlebachs were on display.

My torsional rigidity test is pretty simple. If I press against the platform or touch the head's pan handle (or camera), does the point of aim shift? As far as I can tell, this always happens because of flex between leg sections. And yes, I try to tighten the leg locks as much as possible before trying to make the thing flex.

If so, not a good tripod for use with long lenses. For shortish lenses, certainly up to 200 mm on 35 mm still, my test doesn't make much sense.

Cheers,

laz
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm
    She who must be obeyed told me to buy the Gitzo.
    If I got the go ahead on a $900 tripod from my beloved I'd be checked out and back holding the bag so fast she wouldn't even have known I was gone!

If I were your friend Shaun I would bring his wife's 3021 back to the dealer or contact Bogen/Manfrotto, something is clearly amiss.

Best,
    Bob
    [SIZE=1]I want everything Galli has![/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]I want to make images like Gandolfi![/SIZE]
    rlazell@optonline.net

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by laz
    If I got the go ahead on a $900 tripod from my beloved I'd be checked out and back holding the bag so fast she wouldn't even have known I was gone!

If I were your friend Shaun I would bring his wife's 3021 back to the dealer or contact Bogen/Manfrotto, something is clearly amiss.

Best,
    Bob
    Bob, she who must be obeyed spends our income. I earn all of it. That's why I didn't jump when ordered. In addition, the tripod was headless and wasn't set up for a leveling ball. Ever since I took up movies I've been sold on levelers. I've put a 3115 (Manfrotto 196) and 3047 on my little Berlebach, the two weigh more than the leg set.

Shaun told me he thought that tightening the clamps would restore his wife's tripod's rigidity. I dunno. Doesn't work for my old 3021, which is the reason I went shopping for something better.

BTW, while considering what to do I came across a large Zone VI with 3047 head for all of $100. It had eyebolts with a nifty nylon cord arrangement to control splay, was as solid as solid could be. Heavy, too, though, and too big to fit well in my little car's trunk.

Cheers,

Dan

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin