Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,110   Online: 981

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Tripods...........which are good?

hallo there,

I am going to buy my 1st tripod very soon. It will take a Nikon F3A. I need something light I can carry long distances, being used mainly outdoors (mainly static shots) and will not stand out too much in transit.

My knowledge of heads is fuzzy and I am confused by the tripod choices, or that which represents good value.
    My budget is moderate to medium.

I would be grateful for any suggestions.

Many thanks

M.

laz
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    For 35mm I have used some very inexpensive tripods with great sucess (sometimes stupidly called "beginner" tripods . If you want a step up to proven name brand that is relativly moderate in price there is the Bogan 3001 with a 3021 head I have one and its all I ever need for 35.

Have you considered a monopod? I hike with one all the time for the unexpected shot.
    [SIZE=1]I want everything Galli has![/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]I want to make images like Gandolfi![/SIZE]
    rlazell@optonline.net

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    If you're based in the UK (not sure, sorry!) then I believe Bogen = Manfrotto, and some of the model numbers are different.

For stability heavier tends to be better than lighter, although obviously for portability it's the other way round (you can't win!). Some cheap models are very light and try and add stability by bracing the legs together. This doesn't always work and also means that you can't drop the 'pod to low levels.

I'm a bit unclear as to your actual price range but you might want to check out the Manfrotto 190Pro and the 460Mg head. I'd advise the Pro rather than the CL as it does allow you more flexibility in setting up your shots. I have a 55 Pro with the same head and, if your shoulder will take the weight, it's a very stable platform... ...but heavy. The 190 is quite a bit lighter (and a little cheaper) and very nearly as stable.

All kit is a very personal choice. I'd advise finding a local branch of Calumet and going in and having a look at various alternatives. (Leave your credit card at home though or you'll bankrupt yourself in there! ) What works for me may not work for you.

I hope you find something you like.

All the best,

Frank
    The destination is important, but so is the journey

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Bogen is USA only. At least it seems they are moving over to Manfrotto model numbers. Same thing happens with Metz stuff that Bogen handles.

With tripods you can have it

1) Cheap
    2) Light
    3) Good

Pick two.

Personally I think 35mm cameras tend to need better tripods then bigger cameras. This is really true if the camera will be used with long lenses.

laz
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Zentena
    Personally I think 35mm cameras tend to need better tripods then bigger cameras. This is really true if the camera will be used with long lenses.
    Hi Nick, I'm interested in your reasoning behind this? (no argument, just interested in learning )

-Bob
    rlazell@optonline.net

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Think about a teeter totter. With a 35mm camera with a longish lens you've got all the weight on one end. The leverage pulls all in one way. With say a 4x5 camera odds are the whole thing is centred over the tripod head. All nicely balanced.

Even with something like a MF camera odds are more of the weight is behind the lens. Heavier MF camera helping balance things out.

laz
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Zentena
    Think about a teeter totter. With a 35mm camera with a longish lens you've got all the weight on one end. The leverage pulls all in one way. With say a 4x5 camera odds are the whole thing is centred over the tripod head. All nicely balanced.
    Good point, especially for long lenses. In theory the spread of the legs should take care of much of the effect of imbalance, but, you're absolutely correct. I think the head is of equal importance. The camera-tripod connection must be as stable as can be.

Thanks for the reply,
    Bob
    rlazell@optonline.net

Shooter
    Multi Format
    [QUOTE=Nick Zentena]Bogen is USA only. At least it seems they are moving over to Manfrotto model numbers. Same thing happens with Metz stuff that Bogen handles.

With tripods you can have it

1) Cheap
    2) Light
    3) Good

Pick two.

Hey Nick,
    I'd like the cheap good one please.
    Think you meant sturdy.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What focal lengths do you intend to shoot from your new tripod? I ask because I found my Bogen 3021 (= Manfrotto 055), bought in 1989, marginal with a 400 mm lens, not steady enough for a 700.

Also, I suggest strongly that you buy from a camera store, not via the internet. This after I spent part of a Sunday afternoon in B&H playing with tripods. Many highly-recommended ones gave a little at the leg joints, making their torsional rigidity (think about rotating the camera around its tripod socket) poor. And more recently my wife and I went out birding with friends. Each of them has a really nice spotting scope on a new model Bogen 3021. His is rock solid, hers is as flimsy as my old one. It seems best to select a tripod personally.

Good luck, have fun,

Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Alot of the stability of the tripod, has to do with the head you use, for my 600 f/4 on a bogen 3021, I use a wimberley head and have never had any stability problems at all and no fear to tipping it over, for a 35mm system the 3001, 3021 and many of the lighter Gitzos work just fine, the 3001 is less than $100.00 here in the US and I use one for my backpacking set up with good success up to about 400mm, but again, you have to make sure you have a good head that helps ad to the stability of the tripod.

As Dan said, try to visit a local shop and play with as many different tripods as you can, I have found that tripod choice is often one of the most personal items we use, my wife has her favorites and I have mine and we don't use each others tripods..

Dave

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin