Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,849   Posts: 1,582,847   Online: 702

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Contax future

Shooter
    35mm
    This might be a bit off topic, but I'm led to believe that Kyocera-Contax was predominantly targetting the market of high-end amateurs with money, and so is the current Cosina-Voigtlander. If a pro can use a Bessa R series camera for his/her consistant work in the field, that will prove that I'm wrong, and I will be happy to.

It probably has to do with its primary interest and the bottom-line capacity. Nikon was a company making glass for the Japanese military during WW2. Canon has had its camera(s) approved by the U.S. Navy for its use. Leica has always been in the battle field. Old Contax was, but I doubt the Kyocera-Contax was ever meant to be so. And Cosina-Voigtlander and Cosina-Zeiss seem to be the same as the Kyocera-Contax.

Shooter
    35mm
    My only experience with Contax cameras has been with the RTSIII that I own and a friends G2. Both cameras seem very much built to last.

My experience eith Contax-USA has not been an especially good one. They seemed very unresponsive when I would email for information.

I am 65 years old. Contax has stated that parts will be available for 10 more years. I am content. I would like ti get a second RTSIII body.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I agree with what you say except for the target market for Cosina Voigtlander Bessa cameras. They are priced very low -- for the photographer interested in rangefinder photography. The one who wants a Porsche but only has a budget for a Nissan Sentra.

The Bessa R2A/R3A body is priced at $600 -- well below the Zeiss Ikon ($1,600) and the Leica M7 ($3,300).

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Claire Senft
    My only experience with Contax cameras has been with the RTSIII that I own and a friends G2. Both cameras seem very much built to last.

My experience eith Contax-USA has not been an especially good one. They seemed very unresponsive when I would email for information.

I am 65 years old. Contax has stated that parts will be available for 10 more years. I am content. I would like ti get a second RTSIII body.
    They are the newer top-end cameras, and I'm sure they are really good. But anything older than those two are, you know becoming not really reliable partly because of too much electronics and plastic materials.

I have a T3 P&S. The 10 year repair service is nice, but I can't find any alternative for this camera at this point.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by elekm
    I agree with what you say except for the target market for Cosina Voigtlander Bessa cameras. They are priced very low -- for the photographer interested in rangefinder photography. The one who wants a Porsche but only has a budget for a Nissan Sentra.

The Bessa R2A/R3A body is priced at $600 -- well below the Zeiss Ikon ($1,600) and the Leica M7 ($3,300).
    I mean, if Bessa R2a/3a can be used as, let's say Nikon FM or New FM2, which would run for the same price and have been used as sub-machines, I'll be happy.

You can build a system including a low-priced camera, because you need it sometimes in some situations. But comparing the bulit quality in these two types (FM/New FM2 and Bessa R2a/3a) seems not so appropriate. Also, the new Cosina-Zeiss rangefinder cameras seem to be held not as valuable in the used camera market as I thought.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Well with out a G2 that means there is no hi-tech Rangefinder which I thought would be a gap in the market.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Brac
    Actually the last 2 autofocus 35mm SLR's by Contax didn't use the C/Y mount (unlike the autofocus AX) but a completely different mount. This must have depressed sales and driven people who wanted autofocus to consider other brands.
    I used to own a Contax N1, which is one of the AF cameras to which you are referring. Excellent camera. But the only reason for the new mount was to support a full-frame DSLR. The C/Y mount is fine for a reduced-frame DSLR. And I don't know of any reason why it would not be suitable for AF lenses.

Robert

Shooter
    35mm

Konica history--

This company has a poor history of supporting and maintaining its products. Remember the excellent Koni-Omega line, not to mention their own Autoreflex line. Frankly, it makes me nervous that they're associated with Minolta. Though I never owned Contax film 35, I knew others who swore by their equipment. If I were using it now I'd buy what I could to keep for the future.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by johnr55
    This company has a poor history of supporting and maintaining its products. Remember the excellent Koni-Omega line, not to mention their own Autoreflex line. Frankly, it makes me nervous that they're associated with Minolta. Though I never owned Contax film 35, I knew others who swore by their equipment. If I were using it now I'd buy what I could to keep for the future.
    I think you may have the companies confused. Konica produced the Koni-Omega. Kyocera produced modern Contax cameras. And neither one inspired confidence that they were 100% behind their products!

Robert

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Well, at least you don't have to deal with this:

http://tinyurl.com/duln6

A firmware update for a lens -- I can't ever recall of hearing this one before. How would you even upload the firmware for a lens?

Never mind - I see it has to be done by a dealer, not the consumer.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin