Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,205   Posts: 1,531,761   Online: 947

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Contax future

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Budding
    I used to own a Contax N1, which is one of the AF cameras to which you are referring. Excellent camera. But the only reason for the new mount was to support a full-frame DSLR. The C/Y mount is fine for a reduced-frame DSLR. And I don't know of any reason why it would not be suitable for AF lenses.

Robert
    The C/Y mount was not designed for autofocus so would have to be considerably modified to do autofocus ie it would become a new mount. That's why Contax switched over to a different mount on the autofocus N series SLR's. The AX was the exception that proves the rule - but it provided autofocus by moving an internal part of the camera rather than the lens itself. This was cumbersome but ingenious and resulted in the camera being very large & heavy, very expensive, and the autofocus being slower than the competition. No doubt that is why the AX was a one off and subsequent autofocus SLR's used the N mount.

Danish meduim format digital back/software company Phase One is in talks to revive the Contax 645 line. Mamiya has its 645 involved in marketing ventures with Leaf (valeo, aptus backs), Hasselblad is owned by the same parent company that owns Imacon (imacon ixpress backs and flextight scanners), Jenoptik (eyelike backs) bought controlling interest in Sinar, and has its own meduim format digital camera coming out, so Phase One really needs a camera company or they may be locked out by the others.

Unfortunately, I have heard of no one who is interested in taking over/buying the Contax 35mm SLR line.
    John Luke
    member-ASMP

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'd love to see the Contax 645 back in production. Or a Contax 645 II with a few small improvements and the long-promised-but-never-delivered leaf shutter lenses. But is there enough of a MF market these days? Many pros are shooting DSLR's. And I don't see m any wedding photographerscompalining about quality from DSLR's.

It seems to me that the Kyocera Contax 35mm cameras adapted to DSLR's would have greater market potential.

Robert

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin