Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,497   Posts: 1,543,055   Online: 1033

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would second (or third, fourth, fifth) a lot of the comments already made.

1) The OM cameras are great. Well, I really only worked with the OM1, but I loved that little camera. One thing I have noticed when I looked at getting a new one is that the range of wide-angle glass was limited. I.e. it was hard to find a 24mm or shorter lens at KEH. (of course, KEH has five 24mm lenses right now! Nothing shorter, though)

2) The Nikon FE/FM cameras. I have the FE. It is nice--also it is good that it takes the glass from my N90. The FE electronics are a bit flakey on mine. I might look into an FM type. However, for the price, you can't go too far wrong. You can get an FE in bargain condition from KEH for $70. OM1's start the same.

Keep in mind with the OM-1 that you need to get the hotshoe if you plan to use a flash. It was designed to come off, and it is missing on a lot of cameras.

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'll go along with the OM lovers. Avoid the 2 spot and the straight 4 as they eat batteries, but the 1n, 2n, 3 and 4Ti are all lovely and very robust and reliable, despite their compact build.

David.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattCarey
    Keep in mind with the OM-1 that you need to get the hotshoe if you plan to use a flash. It was designed to come off, and it is missing on a lot of cameras.

Matt
    An OMG (OM20) has a built in hotshoe, uses currently available batteries, and has both aperature preferred automatic and built in manual exposure capability. It also tends to sell for a reasonable price.

It isn't quite as robust as an OM1 and doesn't offer as many system camera features (interchangeable screens etc.) nor does it have mirror lock up but it is a very functional camera that all the OM lenses fit.

Matt (as well)

Shooter
    35mm
    My first camera was a Zenit 122K (k-mount), I think you can get them new for $75, somewhere around there. It's really kind of a cheap plastic camera I think, but it worked well for me, probably wont fair so well if it gets dropped, but I don't the price can be beat as far as a new camera goes. I left it elsewhere and it was stolen, I've got a Pentax ME-Super now, and its quite nice for me, I like the size of it.

One guy suggested checking out the Fujica ST605 or ST605N, as well as a Ricoh XR-2, and some type of Chinon, a CG-II or CG-3 I think, referred to them as 'overlooked stars.'

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You can still get the Zenit 122 but with M42 mount, see here for examples.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I would go for an Olympus OM camera.

Otherwise get a Nikon as lots of lenses are up for sale used.
    Pentax, Minolta and other are nice, too.

I am not into the Canon FD mount cameras while I dig their EOS range.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Morten, he said cheap. Dunno bout you, but I never saw a cheap Nikon/Canon/Olympus unless it was broken!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy K
    Morten, he said cheap. Dunno bout you, but I never saw a cheap Nikon/Canon/Olympus unless it was broken!
    I got my OM1 for $25 with a 50mm f/1.8...cheap to me

Ok...the self-timer doesn't work, but otherwise everything is in good shape. The shutter is tested ok, and with a zinc-air battery (1.35 V hearing aid battery) the light meter works great and gives good results with slide film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My OM-1 cost close to double that, but it is in mint condition...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy K
    My OM-1 cost close to double that, but it is in mint condition...
    Still cheap for a mint OM1...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin