Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,568   Posts: 1,545,452   Online: 1123

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes Jim, This is a thread in the 35mm Cameras and Accessories
    forum.

However, it got derailed into MF almost immediately.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yeah, I guess you're right.
    [COLOR=Blue][FONT=Georgia]Jim Anderson[/FONT][/COLOR]

Shooter
    35mm

Zorki-1 printed "Leica"

http://page11.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/n26780856

The address above is a Japanese Yahoo auction site, which is more popular than eBay over here. I found a Zorki. The auctioneer says it's a Zorki-1 with a type-e lens, but in the picture, it simply says "Leica" on the camera body. I know the Zorki series are Leica copies but usually printed with "Zorki" letters, right? So, is this fake Leica model any remarkably different from other Zorki cameras? I'm kind of thinking about bidding it actually.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There was an article in Pop Photo a few years ago about the Leica copies, and it was telling about all the different copies out there and how they are actually becoming quite collectable on their own, they were talking about people paying large dollars for some of the Leica copies, this looks very simular to the one they used to lead into the story.

Dave

Shooter
    35mm
    !±?=?atinsnow]There was an article in Pop Photo a few years ago about the Leica copies, and it was telling about all the different copies out there and how they are actually becoming quite collectable on their own, they were talking about people paying large dollars for some of the Leica copies, this looks very simular to the one they used to lead into the story.

Dave[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your input. I'm aware of the market, too where collectors pay quite a lot for old Canon, Nikon, Nicca, Kiev and other rangefinders just for the sake of getting Leica and Contax copies. I have a real Leica, but sometimes I get too serious with it, so I need something more like a toy to take it easy.

The highest bid for the Zorki I mentioned is still around 40 U.S. dollars, and there are two more days to go. So, I might give a shot.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by firecracker
    http://page11.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/n26780856

The address above is a Japanese Yahoo auction site, which is more popular than eBay over here. I found a Zorki. The auctioneer says it's a Zorki-1 with a type-e lens, but in the picture, it simply says "Leica" on the camera body. I know the Zorki series are Leica copies but usually printed with "Zorki" letters, right? So, is this fake Leica model any remarkably different from other Zorki cameras? I'm kind of thinking about bidding it actually.
    A while back, enterprising and ethically challenged craftsmen in the FSU countries began removing the FED or Zorki marks from these cameras and re-engraving them with copies of Leica markings. They could then sell the copies for much more than unmodified FEDs or Zorkis would sell for. Sometimes they even added gaudy gold plating, Nazi symbolism, and so on -- anything to further increase the value of the camera in at least some peoples' eyes. Collectors caught on pretty quickly, though, and I get the impression that today these "Leica-fied" FEDs and Zorkis are more often sold as "legitimate fakes," where the sellers are up-front about the modifications, so nobody's being deceived. That seems to be the case in the auction you mention, based on your description. A market seems to have developed for these fakes, so they crop up pretty frequently on eBay.

One caveat: I've heard, but cannot confirm from personal experience, that most of these "Leica-fied" FEDs and Zorkis are in cosmetically very good condition but are unlikely to actually work. They're often created from cameras that never worked, and so were tucked away in a closet and forgotten -- hence their good cosmetic condition. If you just want something as a novelty or conversation piece, go ahead and buy. If you want an actual useable camera, question the seller carefully on this point, and check the seller's reputation as best as you can.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Way back in the 1960s, there seemed to be some sort of special trade agreement between the UK and the USSR, and a variety of Russian photo goods was available, including Leica screw lens in 28, 35, 85 and 135 mm focal lengths. I had all of these plus a Leica IIIa body - the lenses were excellent, I would not say Leica standard, but highly usable and very good value. I have always wanted to know if these lenses are still made, as the FSU is still making Leica-thread cameras, it would be logical if they made lenses as well, but I haven't seen anything but 50 (-ish) mm lenses bundled with cameras available for years.

My take on Russian cameras was and still is - it doesn't matter if they are "built like tanks", the shutters will break soon, they will be uneconomic to fix.

Like to point out that there is a big difference between "Leica copy" and "fake Leica". There are also some eBay sellers who call "fake Leicas" as "Leica copy cameras", makes you think that they are cameras for copying made by Leitz/Leica

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Here where I live, Bosnia and Herzegovina, that is Eastern Europe, we have tons of FSU cameras. Prices from 5 USD to 50 USD (depends of accessories included, camra with one lens are up to 25 USD). Hey, my mothers brother once buyed secondhand lamp on flea market and seller gave him Smena 8 for free. My friend bought Smena 8 for 1 USD. For those prices I would buy several of different cameras, use ones which works, and when those are broken I would buy another one(s). I don't see need for long discussion about this issue.

Of course, I dont know, maybe in USA or Western Europe those cameras are more expencive. If that is case, one year make your hollydays in Polland, Czech, Bosnia, Hungary, Russia, Romania, etc... and get some of those cameras cheap.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a Zorki 4K. It was bought for me as a Christmas present by my father back around 1976/7. I have used it fairly regularly between then and now and it still works as well today as it did back then.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin