Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,514   Posts: 1,543,668   Online: 912

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Hi All...New Member

Hi all, I'm Valerie, an amateur photog in Huntsville, AL. I have been lurking on apug for a few months, but this is my first post, seeking opinions on Nikon F bodies...

I am considering either a used F4s or a used F5. I have purchased Nikon AF lenses(50mm/1.8 & 24mm/2.8) for the body & was dead set on getting the F4s until someone offered me a deal on an F5. Now I'm not sure which is better. All the research has my head spinning. So I come to the wonderful APUG community for opinions on either body.

My decisions for choosing the F4s were based on the fact that I could afford lower priced, better quality MF lenses over AF lenses. While I'm sure I want most of my cash(ha, ha) to go into fast glass, I do need a sturdy dependable body & all the research says both bodies provide this with the F5 being significantly heavier than the F4.

So...do you have any thoughts on either body?

Images
    Hi Valerie,
    I'm not familiar with Fs past the F3 but welcome to APUG
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks for the welcome, Neal

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi Valerie, welcome. I just joined today and have been extended a very warm welcome so I'd like to extend you the same.

robert.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks Robert...welcome to you as well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Val, Robert:

Welcome to the dark side! I hope you realize that there's no going back!

I think that you'll find the personalities here inviting, helpful, interesting and entertaining. This is by far the best site for analog photography and the people that are hooked on it. Be sure to subscribe so that it stays viable.

Val: I'm a Minolta shooter, so I really can't help much. But there are plenty of Nikon people here to help.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have an F5 and I wouldn't trade it for anything. You can use manual and AF lenses on it. I had held an F4/F4s in a local camera store and it is lighter than the F5, but I like the feel of the F5 ergonomically in my hands. I shoot 8x10 a lot these days, so the weight of the F5 doesn't bother me in the least.
    Diane

Halak 41

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have used a Nikon F5 some times now...the best Nikon F-something I used (compared to the F, F2, F3, F4 that I also have tried few times).

But then...I am a Canon guy so I haven't had much experience with it.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Just make sure you note the weight and ergonomics and figure out the lenses you want to see what your going to carry. I almost upgraded to a F4 except for the size/weight compared to my old Nikon 8008 now gone. Nowdays I carry a N80 just because its so light, has incorporated flash, but the downside is it's not as robust as a F4/5. I shoot mf so the N80 is just a family and knockabout shooter, something a little larger then an older p&s, but with more features. If you haven't bought yet, maybe consider different lines as well, or even an older camera.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks everyone for your comments & the warm welcome wishes.

Joey, <----Check it out I became a subscriber!!! Long live APUG!!!
    I currently shoot Minolta also Maxxum 5, STSi, 400si and occasionally I use a Yashica G that belonged to my dad. I am definitely a film girl! I love it!! I recently started doing my own b&w developing as well so now I'm really hooked. Next comes printing...

Diane & Morten thanks for the opinions on the F5. I'm still weighing my options & there is a photog expo this weekend that I will attend to check out prices.

Wayne, after researching other bodies, I think either the F4/5 has the features & options I need/want from Nikon. I do want to shoot MF one day though too. I have a Holga, but have only shot a couple of 120 rolls so far. Would really love a Pentax 645 or Mamiya, but alas, my finances aren't always kind enough to let me play with my passion exclusively.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin