Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,929   Posts: 1,585,227   Online: 820

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ara Ghajanian
    Dave,
    So is it safe to say that with a Nikon F3 with Nikkor AI lenses I should be okay metering with a linear filter?
    Ara
    Ara,

I would not anticipate any problems on that combination, but I woud suggest doing a couple of test shots and record your exposures to make sure, but I have never heard of any problems using a linear on this combination.

Dave

Shooter
    35mm
    There is one quick and easy way to tell if the linear polarizer affects the metering.
    Point the camera (preferrably mounted on a tripod) at a light colored indirectly illuminated wall. Rotate the polarizer while watching the metering indicator in the viewfinder. Since the light reflected from the wall is essentially unpolarized, rotating the polarizer will have no effect on the light reaching the lens. If there is any change in the metering indicators then the polarizer is affecting the amount of light reaching the sensor. If you see no change, you're good to go.

FWIW my Nikon FM and Contax RTS II are unaffected by linear polarizers.

Cheers,
    Mike

Shooter
    35mm
    There is a quick and easy way to determine if a linear polarizer affects metering. (I have no knowledge re: autofocus)

Point the camera (preferrably mounted on a tripod) at a light colored, somewhat textured and indirectly illuminated wall. Rotate the polarizer while watching the metering indicators in the viewfinder. Because the light reflected from the wall is essentially unpolarized, rotating the filter will have no effect on the light reaching the lens. If the metering indicators change then the light reaching the sensor is being affected. If the metering stays the same you're good to go.

FWIW both my Nikon FM and Contax RTS II work fine with a linear polarizer.

Cheers,
    Mike

Shooter
    35mm
    I was told that a linear polarizer can interfere with some autofocus cameras- something about splitting the beam(s), whereas a circular polarizer will then correct the split. I got a linear polarizer for my FM3a, and have no problems.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin